Monday, January 21, 2013

Steampunk Progress

I have made some small progress on the Steampunk House this week.  I added a staircase from the balcony down to the cab of the house.  There is no staircase inside the house, so this is how the inhabitants would move from level to level.
I also painted the posts on the balcony silver and painted the wagon wheels.  I need to do some aging, but I'm waiting until I'm almost done with the exterior on this side so I can do it all at once.

I started to add some ladder rungs on the outside of the tower that holds the shower.  It is slow moving because I can only add so many at a time and then I have to wait for glue to dry.
I made a dresser for the bedroom inside the house and I started on a bed.  The dresser started out as an unpainted piece of furniture that I added metal tape and beads to- I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  The bed still needs a lot of work.  I can see it finished in my head, but I'm still pondering how to get to that finished vision :) 

I have not progressed too far on either dollhouse because I am hard at work on my real life library and craft room.  The library room is a disaster area- this is about the cleanest shot of progress I can show.  I have been painting different colors in the cubbies behind the books.
This next week I'm going to work on The Candy House instead of the Steampunk House so I'll see you next Monday with some progress shots :)  Have a creative week!!





25 comments:

Donna Humphries said...

I really love this dolls house it's so unique. I like the chest of draws it's brill. x

Kim said...

Thank you Donna!!

Ilona said...

Hi Kim! What progress on your Steampunk House, it looks fantastic! The "iron"-looks are great, you say you use metal tape for this? Is it the same as aluminum tape, or am I wrong?
Hugs, Ilona

Kim said...

Ilona- I think it is the same as aluminum tape- I bought it at the hardware store. I think they use it to join ductwork together. It is easy to scratch into and make the little lines and then I paint it with black paint, let it sit for a second and then rub most of the black paint off. The paint sticks in the grooves--so really it's just one piece of tape that I have taken an empty pen to and drawn the lines. Does that make sense? Thank you for your kind compliment :) Hugs to you!!!

Wyrna Christensen said...

Your chest of draws is absolutely beautiful made ​​so creative. Very well done.
Hugs
Wyrna

Kim said...

thank you so much Wyrna! Hugs back to you :)

Rosethé said...

un impressionnant, original et superbe travail sur la maison-locomotive, mais aussi sur la commode !
rosethé-Minima

Kim said...

thank you Rosethe ♥

Steinworks said...

wow, I love the steampunk train house and what you've done so far..very impressed


Love
Marisa

Kim said...

Thank you Marissa! I'm getting my excitement for it back :)

PAKY said...

So beautiful progress in your Steampunk house, The "iron efect" really looks so real. Great work! hugs

Kim said...

thank you Paky! hugs to you too :)

Dark Squirrel Victoria said...

Wow Kim! That is Awesome!!! I can't wait to see more ;)

Big Hugs,
Victoria

Kim said...

Thanks Victoria!!! Hugs to you too :)

AM said...

Hi Kim, your work looks AWSOME! Love the details and the paint work. You got a new follower, your work is very inspiring. gr. AM

Kim said...

thanks so much AM! How nice of you to come visit me :)

maria said...

That dresser is awesome! What a great idea to use aluminum tape. I have to check that out.

maria said...

That dresser is amazing! Greta idea to use the aluminum tape. I have to check that out.

Kim said...

You should look for it Maria- it is very fun to work with! Thank you for your sweet comment :)

Venus Blues Hideaway said...

Hello and thanks for dropping by! Your little dresser is divine! How much patience that must take!! I love all your work though, you are so talented :). Thanks for the kind words on the Poe piece. Chat soon.

F.

Ascension said...

Que fantastico progreso, me encanta como te esta quedando!!!
Muy realista.
besitos ascension

Plushpussycat said...

Hi Kim, I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up on your projects. I just discovered that I was no longer following your blog--how frustrating!!! Well, I'm back now and looking forward to catching up on what I've missed. :-) xo Jennifer

Kim said...

that happens to me sometimes too Jennifer- isn't it frustrating?? No worries though- I have not been posting a lot- just barely getting back at my minis again :)

Eileen Bergen said...

How did you do that staircase?! I love it. Is it made from aluminum tape as well?

I can't decide which house I love best: Candy or Steampunk.

You should publish a coffee table book, Kim. What a great conversation piece that would be.

Kim said...

aww- thank you Eileen- that is a wonderful compliment! The staircase is a mixture of wood for the base of it, little metal fastener things for the stair treads and washers and scrapbook embellishments on the outside of the staircase. I have to admit that this house has been the hardest because I don't immediately "see" what I am going to make and I have to think about it a lot-but a challenge is good, right?