Monday, January 14, 2013

Moving along

Well, I am coming back to the land of the creative living.  I've been able to move forward with some things this last week and make a little progress.  I made a list of things I would like to finish up- just a few to start with and when I get these finished I'll go forward from there.  I have quite a few dollhouses in progress and one that lives in my head that I really want to build.  I decided that no more dollhouses could be started until every single one I have is finished- so I have chosen "The Candy House" and "The Steampunk House" as the houses I will concentrate on first.  The Candy House was built specifically for a little doll made by my friend Patricia.  The outside is almost finished- I just have some work to do on the front garden.  The inside needs a lot of work.
The Steampunk House needs a lot of work on the inside and the outside.  This weekend I added a chain railing to the balcony and the wheels are finally permanently attached on the front wagon cab.


I would like to finish the rooms upstairs in our real house this year too.  In my craft room I have still been working on collaging all of my suitcases and painting the trim silver.  This has been a huge job and I'm about halfway done.  I have more painting to do on the walls in my craft room and a little bit more organizing to do.
In the library/guest room upstairs I have been slowly painting the walls cream.  Our house is really old, so both of these rooms are a little rough, but they are looking much better with these minor cosmetic changes.  My hubby built me some more shelves in the last available space in this room.  After these last shelves are filled I'm either going to have to stop buying books or start getting rid of some clothes so I can shove books in my closet :) 
I've chosen 3 mixed media projects that I want to finish.  The first would be my altered LIV doll that will be Marie Antionette.  I have been working on this doll off and on at night.  She is an easy project to do if I feel like sitting in front of the tv because I have been hand sewing and beading her dress.  Here is what she looks like so far.
Next is this owl that sits on my table in my craft room and watches me create.  I want to add that little globe to a nest beneath him-but I think I want to alter the globe a bit.  Not sure exactly how yet- or exactly how I'm going to create his nest.
The last project on my list of things I am working on is this angel.  I have had her in progress for a long time.  Some items that were in my wedding bouquet (we were married in 98) are woven into her skirt so she is very special to me.  I think it's time she was finished up.
Before I go- I wanted to show you the journal I made with a Zutter Bind It All machine I bought myself for Christmas.  (yes- I really did buy myself a present-lol).  I used leftover chipboard I had lying in my craft room and the pages are wallpaper borders that someone had given me probably at least 8 or 9 years ago-if not more!  I decided to use them in this first binding project so that if I messed up terribly on my first try I would not cry over wasted expensive materials.  Turns out I really love working on the wallpaper border.  The pages are nice and thick and after a coat of gesso paint goes on like butter.  Here are my first pages in the book- soooo nice to just pick up a brush and paint without any worry or nagging inner critic.  I might just love this journal for that reason- it was so cheap who cares if I mess some pages up!










31 comments:

Donna Humphries said...

Glad your back at creating. Love your sweet house. x

Kim said...

Thank you Donna! I need to get back to reading too- I miss your great blog! Hope you have a great week!

MinisOnTheEdge said...

Kim, I love your houses! The Steampunk house is so cool and unique. Happy Creating Hun !

MinisOnTheEdge said...

Kim, I love your houses! The Steampunk house is so cool and unique. Happy Creating Hun !

ShellbyFay said...

Yaaay!!

The sweetie house is gorgeous and I'm really looking forward to both of the houses coming together!

The owl is really funky, interested to see how you will create his nest.

Keep the pics coming, we like them lots!! :)

Kim said...

Tracy- thank you!!! You build such beautiful houses- I am so pleased that you like mine! It feels good to get back at them- the ideas for The Steampunk House are finally percolating again :) Happy Creating to you too!!

Sans! said...

Kim, it is good, isn't it to start the year listing down all the dos and don'ts, will and won'ts. That's why I love New Year :).

Your candy house is so cheerful and that steampunk house is going to be a winner. I can definitely already see brilliance in your angel. You are going to do just fine :).

Kim said...

Sans! I need to visit you too- I have been thinking about your abandoned house. It does feel good to start a new year and make some new goals. Thank you so much for visiting me today- it is so wonderful to get back in touch with my friends- why did I ever let myself get so distracted and far behind? Have a wonderful week my friend!

Kim said...

Thank you ShellbyFay--I think I might be getting my groove back :) Hope you are having a good and creative week so far!

Venus Blues Hideaway said...

Wow--You have so much going on and I love every piece of it. I find myself getting so much going on I can't concentrate on any of it, not to mention the valuable work space it takes up. I love the angel and the suitcases. What a great idea. Course, all of your stuff is great. I have finally jumped back into the crafting mode. Well, maybe not jumped--but dipped my toe in. I have an Edgar Allen Poe canvas drawn up (almost) and have been trying to get into the studio to start it. I feel the burn beginning again and I know it is only a matter of time before I jump back in again. So glad to see you are doing okay and getting something accomplished.

Faye

Kim said...

Faye-I'm so happy to see you here and glad to hear that things are getting a bit better for you too. I know we were in the same boat in our struggles- feels good to start to get back at it, doesn't it? I actually find that I work better jumping from thing to thing- but unfortunately that means that projects get finished really really slowly. I have to try to come visit you today- your Edgar Allen Poe canvas sounds sooo cool! Hope those creative fires keep on burning!!!!

Lucille said...

Kim, all the projects you're working on are all so wonderful! I love your candy house. There is something so special about that little house. Candy houses always make me think of Hansel and Gretel and they give me a good nostalgic feeling. Yours is the nicest I have ever seen. And your steampunk house is so fascinating. Your wallpaper border journal, the owl, the angel, all scream of an extraordinary talent. Have I forgotten something, well, then, just include it because everything you do has this special, unique touch to it.

Kim said...

Lucille- you are always so kind to me-thank you! I have to admit that The Candy House is my favorite dollhouse-but it has a lot to do with the little dollie that lives there :) Thank you for always visiting me- you are such a sweetheart ♥

Lorraine said...

hello kim,,thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. I like your doll houses and your owl plus all the colourful pieces

Kim said...

Thank you Lorraine :) I love your blog-your work is so gorgeous. thank you for visiting mine!

Doreen said...

It was so nice to see your post today. I have been sadly neglectful in my blogging and today was my first visit in quite awhile and yours was the first post I saw. I too have just started back on some of my projects. I love the candyhouse and the Marie Antoinette doll. Her dress is beautiful. It amazes me the variety of projects you work on. You are very talented and it is nice to see your enthusiasm in crafting is back. You motivate me to get back to mine.

Kim said...

Hi Doreen! I'm so glad to see you!! Thank you for your sweet comment. It does feel good to start back at creating things, doesn't it? We still have a couple of months to fill before we can garden too! I'm glad I posted today and helped to motivate you a bit too :) Take care my friend-big hugs for you!

PAKY said...

I love your dollhouses, the Steampunk house is really amazing, both are so original! I admire your creativity, you do anything and everything you looks great! A big hug, happy new year, and a million thanks for your visit to my blog!

Kim said...

Paky- thank you so much! Big hug and Happy New Year to you also!!!! :)

A Day In The Mini Life said...

Hi Love your site. I just got mine up and running and would love if you'd come by and check it out!

Mandy Duffy said...

Kim! It's been so long!!!!!!! I'm so glad to see you are still up to your usual craftiness! I love the dolls, been thinking for doing something like that myself.......

Kim said...

Mandy!!!! I am so happy to see you!! It has been a long time- I really fell in a hole :) I think you should do an art doll-they are really fun! Have you done much bead embroidery? I love it- there is something so calming to me about sitting and stitching beads onto something. Have a super week!!!

Cinderella Moments said...

Hi Kim! You have quite the list! You are very courageous. All your projects look fantastic. The Candy House is so whimsical and adorably fun. The Steampunk is just out of this world. It's so imaginative. I've never seen anything like it.
All your projects are gorgeous. You are so talented.
hugs♥,
Caroline

Maria Ireland said...

Wow you have been busy. So many fantastic projects. You are a very creative lady :) I love all your work.
Hugs Maria

Kim said...

Hi Caroline! Sadly, this is just a short "starting" list. I have more half finished projects than I care to admit to-that's why I decided to just pick a few to concentrate on. Problem is, I want to try almost everything I see and pinterest has made that habit even worse! Thank you for your nice comment- you are such a sweetheart :) hugs back to you! ♥

Kim said...

aw- thank you Maria- you are so nice to me all of the time too- I have such wonderful friends! Hugs to you!!!

ADayInTheMiniLife said...

Hey Kim. Thanks for stopping by my page and for the kind words.
I love your houses. They're awesome both in their own way. I especially love the front and the wheels on the steam-punk house. That journal is awesome. I have a HUGE weakness for notebooks and journals. I have tons of them.I intend to write in them, then decide they're too pretty or that I'm not sure what to write in that one, and it's turned into a huge collection. And always looking for more. I'd so love to have a binding machine. I also like the wallpaper and how smooth it looks to work on. Maybe one day. Or you can start binding and selling... I could be in trouble then! LOL. Anyways, I'm off to finish working on a post since the nets cooperating atm. Knock on wood. Guess I'll be seeing you around now! And welcome and thanks again!
Penny

Eileen Bergen said...

Hi Kim,

Everything is just wonderful! Where to begin? First, thank you for posting the pictures and sharing. I know it all takes time (i.e. time away from all your crafty fun!).

I especially love the houses - both of them; but the steampunk is beyond clever. Gosh, where do the ideas spring from?!

I just drool over your craft room whenever you show parts of it. Maybe this will be my year to do something creative with my creative space!

You're inspiring.



Kim said...

Hi Eileen- it's so nice to see you! I sure have missed my friends! I'm starting to get excited about the Steampunk House again-so hopefully it will start moving along. Can you see my first zutter bind it all project in this post? I love that machine :) Funny that when I start back up blogging again you post about it too! If I lived close to you I would sooooo love to come help you do something with your creative space. I keep telling my hubby that my craft room is getting to be my favorite room in the house- I can't help but smile in there :)

Ilona said...

Your Candy house is soooo wonderful, love it! The Steampunk is unique, fantastic work, Kim!
Hugs, Ilona

Kim said...

aw-thank you Ilona!! Hugs back to you!!