Monday, June 25, 2012

Progress on the Steampunk Dollhouse

The sun is finally shining again!! I was able to take a few pictures of the very slow progress on the steampunk house. I saved a tip I saw Casey from http://caseymini.blogspot.com/ on siding for the dollhouse and I thought I would try it out here. I am using the cardboard tacking strip for upholstery- and I think it's turning out pretty decent. Here you can see some progress up close:


In the picture you can see on the side wall the bare cardboard.  I painted a bit of it blue to see how it would look when painted.  I think I like it!  Here's a long view:

I also used leading strips and gallery glass paint for a stained glass window in the bathroom.  I wish this photographed better- I really like how it turned out.


This house is moving along sooooo slowly-but at least it's finally moving along :)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Too Rainy and Dark for Dollhouse Pictures, so Garden!

I was going to show some of the progress I've made on the Steampunk dollhouse but it's been raining all week and all the pictures I take are either blurry or too dark.  How about I show you how my garden was doing before all this rain started?  Here are some random pictures from May and June of my garden- by the time I can get back out there again it will be full of weeds and mosquitoes :)  









I can't wait till the sun comes out and I can get my fingers in the dirt again :)  Hope your day is sunny today where you live!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Steampunk Dollhouse on Wheels

So, when I left off blogging I was starting to create a Steampunk inspired dollhouse on wheels.  I'm making very slow progress on it, but here are some pictures of where it is at right now.  I have added some pipes to the front of the building, as well as starting to panel the bottom half with wood grain and steel bars.  The balcony with the door on the second floor will have a staircase leading down to the covered wagon cab on the front of the house-which will be where the driver will sit.  I still need to work on the wheels for the house and I'm starting to think about what I might like to use for shingles on the roof- this was a hard house for me to get started on but I think inspiration is finally coming now :)


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Garden Chandelier Tutorial

Well, here I am back again.  I miss my blog, but it sure is hard to get started again after you have been away for awhile.  I have not been as busy as I used to be- my creative side had gone on strike and it's taken a lot of patience waiting for it to come back again.  One thing that always makes me excited is gardening season.  I don't know if it is because our growing season is short here in Minnesota --but I wish I could spend every single second of the summer out in the gardens.  This year I saw a chandelier for the garden on pinterest that I loved.  (click the link to see it)  I wanted to do something similar in my garden, but I didn't want to do candles and votive cups- I really wanted it to be solar.  After thinking about it for awhile my hubby and I came up with our own version of the chandelier in solar.  Here's a simple tutorial of what we did:

You will need:

As many canning jars and lids as you want on your chandelier
Short wire fencing from the hardware store
Silicone
Medium gauge wire for attaching the jars
Chain to hang the finished product


 First- we bought canning jars with metal lids-here's a look at what we started with:
Then you need to find a solar stake with a top small enough to fit inside the lid.  I bought mine at the dollar store- but you can find these in different sizes at most hardware stores right now too.
Draw on the lid of your canning jar the outline of the stake.  You will need to cut this hole out with a tinsnips.  I drilled a large hole in the center of the outline and then used the tinsnips to cut out the circle from there.

Now your solar light top should fit into the hole in your lid (minus the stake).  Use silicone to go around the light top to keep water out of the inside of the jar.

Take the wire fencing and make a circle as large as you want your chandelier to be. 
Take your wire ( I got mine at a hardware/farm supply store) and start to attach your jars to the fencing where you would like them to be.

We added a chain on the top and hung the finished product from the gazebo in my garden.  There you have it- a chandelier that lights up at night and no messy votives to keep cleaning up.  If you have any questions just let me know and I'll try to anwser them.  If someone tries this out I would love to see your finished product :)