Thursday, July 26, 2012

Steampunk House Progress

Progress still goes very slow on the Steampunk House.  I did add the very cool piece of pipe that Kathi from sent me  to the side of the tower that the shower is in.  I think it looks really cool- thank you again Kathi!
I'm getting close to being finished with the siding and I added some steampunk machinery to the front of one of the steampipes that will be above the cab.  I still need to add stairs down to the cab from the balcony, add a ladder going up the side of the house to the reading nook, finish the roof tiling, glue the cab to the front of the house, add wheels and lots and lots of aging.  Here's some more progress pictures:

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Steampunk House Progress and Mail Goodies

Progress on the Steampunk House continues to be slow.  I'm plugging along on the siding but I'm almost out of upholstery tack strip so I guess I'll have to order another roll.  Poor planning there- but now I know how far it stretches if I use it on another project.  Here is the side of the house- where the stained glass windows are is where the sink will be in the bathroom.  There is a shower in the tower.

 I started to age the siding on the front part of the house-but not too much.  It still makes me nervous-the aging is going to take me awhile as I work up my nerve and stop being so worried about ruining things.  I can always paint it over and start new, right?
 I added more paperclay to the last pipe above where the cab to drive will sit and I painted  the othere pipe copper.  I don't like the copper- I'm going to try to work on it with more paint, but I may have to paint it white and start over. 
 Here you can see how the front cab will sit on the house when we glue it on.  This will be where the driver sits to control and steer the house while it is traveling.  I should have put a sheet or something over my dollhouse in the back- it's kind of distracting in the pictures.
 Before I go, I wanted to show you the kit I won from Kathi at anniversary giveaway.  Here is the kit opened with it's contents.  The kit is in Chinese-so when Kathi said it was a little challenge she was not kidding-but it looks like it's going to be fun! It's a small coffee house.  I think I'm going to build it just like the picture and see how it turns out- thank you so much Kathi!!
 Kathi also sent a ton of goodies along to use in my steampunk house- I was soooo excited to see all of it and started digging through it to get inspiration right away.  I am using that piece of pipe somewhere for sure- it's so cool!!  If you have never visited Kathi you should take a look at her blog- it's so fun to watch her projects progress and she has the best imagination.  I've learned some good mini building tips from her blog.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Steampunk House Progress

An extra day off for the American Fourth of July holiday gave me some extra time for the dollhouse this week.  I managed to finish the siding on most of the front of the house:
I started to make the lift off roof for the book nook.  Here you can see it on the house:
Here you can see how it lifts off the house:
I started adding roof tiles made out of heavily painted cardstock:
I was even a little brave and tried some aging on one of the panels on the house.

  I think I need to add some rusty/orange colored paint and maybe even a touch of a green?  Maybe I need to have a glass of wine or two and then try the aging so I'm not such a chicken about it?  
I'm hoping to have some time to work on the house some more this weekend, but.....we've been having some really hot days, so if it does cool off like they say it will I may have to disappear into the garden instead :)  I think there are a million weeds that snuck in.

Monday, July 2, 2012

progress on the steampunk house

I've been doing little bits on the Steampunk house- summer is such a busy time :)  I am slowly adding siding still and I worked on the door for the balcony.

I still need to age the door and all the other bits-but I'm kind of scared of aging them so I keep putting them off.  I keep looking up tutorials on the internet and reading books--maybe if I practice on something else first I will get over the fear of mucking everything up.  I added the wood panel to the back of the house and started siding:
I've decided that I am putting a small library/book nook on the top of the dormer like entrance on the balcony.  I'll have a ladder up the side and a small door to get in at the top.  Here's a picture of the outside so you can see what area I am talking about:
Here is the start of the inside.  I'll need to add bookcases on each side and then I'll build a roof and wall that can be removed so you can see inside this area better.
Here's what Miko the Pomeranian thinks of working on the dollhouses:
and.... a last parting shot of smiling Miko- this is what he looks like when he's getting the attention he thinks he deserves :)