Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Garden Chandelier Tutorial

Well, here I am back again.  I miss my blog, but it sure is hard to get started again after you have been away for awhile.  I have not been as busy as I used to be- my creative side had gone on strike and it's taken a lot of patience waiting for it to come back again.  One thing that always makes me excited is gardening season.  I don't know if it is because our growing season is short here in Minnesota --but I wish I could spend every single second of the summer out in the gardens.  This year I saw a chandelier for the garden on pinterest that I loved.  (click the link to see it)  I wanted to do something similar in my garden, but I didn't want to do candles and votive cups- I really wanted it to be solar.  After thinking about it for awhile my hubby and I came up with our own version of the chandelier in solar.  Here's a simple tutorial of what we did:

You will need:

As many canning jars and lids as you want on your chandelier
Short wire fencing from the hardware store
Silicone
Medium gauge wire for attaching the jars
Chain to hang the finished product


 First- we bought canning jars with metal lids-here's a look at what we started with:
Then you need to find a solar stake with a top small enough to fit inside the lid.  I bought mine at the dollar store- but you can find these in different sizes at most hardware stores right now too.
Draw on the lid of your canning jar the outline of the stake.  You will need to cut this hole out with a tinsnips.  I drilled a large hole in the center of the outline and then used the tinsnips to cut out the circle from there.

Now your solar light top should fit into the hole in your lid (minus the stake).  Use silicone to go around the light top to keep water out of the inside of the jar.

Take the wire fencing and make a circle as large as you want your chandelier to be. 
Take your wire ( I got mine at a hardware/farm supply store) and start to attach your jars to the fencing where you would like them to be.

We added a chain on the top and hung the finished product from the gazebo in my garden.  There you have it- a chandelier that lights up at night and no messy votives to keep cleaning up.  If you have any questions just let me know and I'll try to anwser them.  If someone tries this out I would love to see your finished product :)


7 comments:

Minnie Kitchen said...

I'm so glad you're back!! Wonderful tutorial~ too bad I don't have a garden :(

Lucille said...

So happy to see you back, Kim. Fantastic tutorial. I don't have a garden unfortunately.

Kim said...

Thank you ladies :) I will post some pictures at the end of this week of how my garden is doing- perhaps you can share my garden with me :) Hugs to you both!!!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness Kim!! That chandy is so wonderful! I can't wait to see your garden-- I love it and can't wait to see what you've planted this year. It's so good to see you back in Bloglandia again.
Hugs,
Jill

Cherie Burbach said...

Kim, I love this idea! how cute

Kim said...

Thank you Jill- I always love to see your garden too :) I've posted some pictures from May and June :)

Cherie- thank you!! Are you going to try it out? I'd love to see if you do :)

Parabolic Muse said...

Hold on...

WHAT?!


This is too much. I'm linking to it. So, there.