Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Garden Art and Missing my Blog!!

I'm going to try to ease back into blogging and visiting blogs. I really miss blogging- I've been a bit unhappy since I stopped and I realized I miss it so much and I'm just going to have to make time to post once in awhile. The last couple of weekends I have pushed aside some of my responsibilities and taken some time for myself. My kitchen might not be as clean and I might be a little behind on laundry, but my creative side feels so much better. I finished poor Pedro's outfit finally and he is all tucked into his little niche on my craft room wall. He told me he doesn't see the point in having bullets with no gun- but he's still missing the gun. Perhaps his stern stare will work on his enemies for now :) 

I also have a project to share.  We made these glass totem type sculptures in my craft group this last year and I wanted to make another one for my garden.  First you gather some glass dishes, plates, cups, etc.  You want a variety because we are going to stack them up and put them on a stake in the garden.  Here is what I started with.
Next, you need a strong outdoor glue.  This is what I used- I bought it from the hardware store.  It smells very strong, so working somewhere with good ventilation would be smart.
You also need to make sure you have a bottle or vase with a thinner neck.  You can see I have a clear bottle in the mix there- it once held syrup but the thin neck is perfect for this project.  It's interesting if one of your dishes  for the very top is a shape--or even a little ceramic statue.  I choose the hen dish for this- I glued the dish together so it's now one piece instead of 2.  Then, start experimenting with how you want you tower of glass to look.  I started gluing it together in pieces to make things a little easier.  I glued these two piles pictured below together and left them overnight to dry hard.
Then, I glued those two piles together the next day and glued the hen dish to the very top.  Since this was now pretty tall and it takes a little while for the glue to set I had to improvise a way to hold the tower steady while it was drying, so I propped it between two  chairs.  Miko the Pomeranian looks pretty impressed with this project, doesn't he?  Since I had glued the two pieces separately the night before and let them dry overnight it was really only two places for glue to dry on this step- where the glass meets the white plate in the picture and where the hen is sitting on the top plate.  I let this step dry for two nights to make sure it was good and hard before I exposed it to outside elements.
Here it is in my garden- the glass syrup bottle is on a steel stake that I also purchased from the hardware store.  If your tower wiggles a bit on the stake you could wrap a bit of duct tape around the stake until you get a tight fit in the neck of the bottle.  The first one I made has been in my garden the entire summer and has not broken or come unglued yet- but I think it's very important to use a glue made for outdoor use to achieve this.  So, what do you think?  I kind of like the way it glints in the sunlight- and water collects on the plates when it rains giving the butterflies a little place to get a drink.  See you again soon :)

22 comments:

De said...

Welcome back, Kim! I've missed you.

The glass sculpture is awesome!

De

Caseymini said...

Kim I am happy to see you back and thank you for the garden sculpture! I am going to have to try that!

dale's dreams said...

Kim that is so darling for the garden and Pedro looks fabulous! :)

Unusual Girl Studios said...

Oh my gosh! I thought you were never coming back!!! The totem is so cool in the garden!

Doreen said...

Kim - it is so nice to see you posting. I am going to have to take your example and get back to my blog too. I love Pedro but he does need a rifle. Could you make one of clay? The garden sculpture is really good and I love the idea of the butterfly drinking dish.

Claudia said...

So glad you're back, my friend! I love, love that garden sculpture - what a neat idea! Pedro is very cool, indeed!

xo
Claudia

Dani said...

Oh wauw Kim....it's beauiful sweety !!...miss you lots, my days are so weird never had such a summer holiday as this one...sorry for not being around much...thinking a lot of you !, till soon big big hug from your sis over sea XxxDani

Laura said...

Well it's about damn time! People were asking me if you and I broke up! (ok, that's a lie... ) ;p

I love the glass sculpture and Pedro looks faboo!
Don't think I missed little Miko sneaking into the second last picture. He can't hide from me. The little fluffy monkey!

Glad that you are back. I miss you like crazy. AND, I have pms so it's been a real bitch. :(

((Hugs))
Laura

Piikko said...

Welcome back Kim!ÜÜ
I'm happy to hear about you.:)
Greetings, piiko

Mandy said...

Yeah it's Kim!!!! I love that glass totem structure!!! Very cool.

Cinderella Moments said...

The glass totem is so eclectic! I can just imagine making a shabby chic one with a teapot. It's brilliant. Thanks for sharing it.
Pedro looks sensational! His clothes are perfect. You really did an outstanding job on it!
hugs,
Caroline

WeeLittleWest / Kathy Olaf-Obrenski said...

Beautiful garden! Welcome!!

Papillon Bleu said...

LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawnll said...

I am so jealous of your garden. I didn't get to do anything in mine this year. Been taking care of my mother till she passed recently.
I am so thrilled to check out your blog- I just feel right at home.
Pedro is spectacular, even without a gun!

Lucille said...

It's nice to see you back, Kim. Love your garden sculpture. Pedro looks so handsome! It's also nice to see little Miko!

Wendy Luane Barber said...

Hi there! Pedro is awesome and he shouldn't really miss the gun because he doesn't really have any targets. LOL Your totem is equally awesome. Glad you're feeling better.

Cherie said...

Kim, that's so funny, I'm working on one of these too. It's so fun going to rummages and stuff to get glass. I love the way they jazz up color in the yard. Yours is lovely!

Daniella said...

There you are!! Glad you are well, and still crafty!!
Your little guy is awesome, and I love those totems! Fabulous work!
xxDaniella

Eileen Bergen said...

Welcome back, Kim! We've sure missed you and your cute minis. Pedro is adorable despite the stern expression. Good job.

Ascension said...

Pedro esta genial, me encanta.
La escultura de vidrio en tu precioso jardin queda genial.
besitos ascension

PAKY said...

Is a original idea!! I'm so happy to see you back in blogsphere! Have a nice week and a big hug!

chinamommy said...

LOVE these totem poles! i saw another idea at a shower recently: flowers out of stacking dishes, plates, and cups for your garden! what a great way to re-use!
xoxo
cm