Monday, April 25, 2011

The Sunroom

Well friends- I was so excited to show you some progress on this project.  I have been working on secret items and  I finally was able to do work that I could put on the blog!  A little too excited I guess- because I broke it!  Here is what the sunroom used to look like:
I painted the wood on the front  brown and then I did a crackle coat like Katie does. When the crackle was still tacky I added a gray paint to the top of that.  I let it dry overnight (you are right Katie- waiting for it to dry is the hardest part) and the next day I sanded the gray just a little bit.  I was in love with it!  I proudly showed it to my hubby and he liked it too.  While setting it down after we had been admiring my handiwork I slipped and broke the glass on the front.   So.......after much prying (tacky glue sticks really well to glass!) Here is the front now-I had to start all over with a new piece of glass.  My hubby says that maybe I was meant to break it because he thinks you would be able to see into the room better if there was only one post in the middle instead of two.  I think he might be right, but I'm still trying to decide.  Anyhow, this gray paint treatment is what all the wood will eventually look like- what do you think?
Disregard the brown strip in the picture- I had to do a bit of repair and didn't add gray there yet.  I also did more work with the brick wall in back and painted the door leading into the room. 


My hubby made a cool little framework that drops right down onto the top of the box for some hanging plants to hang from.  I can take the grid off if I really want to get my hands into the box for rearranging things. 
So....this project is one step forward and two steps back I guess :)  What do you think so far??

17 comments:

Katie said...

Oh Kim! I love it! And I am so glad you didn't get hurt! Can't get much mining done with glass in your hands! The front looks awesome. Glad my crackling tips helped. It is quite addicting:) Love the attachment for the hanging plants! So smart! Can't wait to see the end result:)
Katie

Lataina said...

Well I think it's just (and now I'll say this next part in my Oprah singing voice)FAAAAA-BUUUU-LOUSSSSS! It's such a neat project! =)

Betty said...

I think the little house is lovely Kim! I can see why you are so excited about it! If I have it I would be excited too!

Cinderella Moments said...

I already love it! I love all the colors and finishes you chose. It looks amazing. Can't wait to see what's next!

Caroline

Carol said...

The crackle finish adds so much character to the sunroom! I'm excited to see the final result!

Lirael said...

It's really cool! Love the hue of gray you used and the crackle adds some life to the woodwork. And hanging plants! I love hanging plants and this is such a neat way to hang them. Way to go Kim and Kim's husband!

Jill said...

I love it! Those paint finishes look so great. I'll have to try that crackling idea sometime~ it's so cool!
Hugs,
Jill

Mandy said...

Awesome!!! That looks so real, had to believe it is a mini. So sorry you tripped, hope you are ok!

Lainie said...

Very nice! Love the gray on the wood. You're doing a great job! Glad you didn't cut yourself!
Hugs,
Lainie

Ascension said...

Que precioso trabajo estas haciendo, me encantan los colores y los acabados, enhorabuena.
besitos ascension

Dani said...

It's beautiful Kim !!....much love Dani Xxx

Lucille said...

You did such a wonderful job, Kim. I'm so often amazed at what miniaturists achieve through the artistry of painting. You must be so happy!

sunrooms northern ireland said...

I love it already!!

Laura said...

I love it!!!! I can't wait to see it all finished. The hanging baskets will look amazing. What a great idea.
I still say we need some Kim & Laura dolls in there drinking tea and eating leftover Easter bunnies... ;p

((Hugs))
Laura

Zlatica said...

This is so cute. :) I think it looks even better with the larger window.
You did excellent work with crackling.

Wendy Luane Barber said...

So glad you were able to salvage it. Good to have a handy hubby around. ;)I'm loving this project. I'm ready to tackle my first mini. Wish me luck.

Sans! said...

Hi Kim! I have just caught up with your posts and saw that you are taking a blogging break ! I too was missing for about 2 weeks from blogland coming in only once in a while to answer some comments :).

Tonight I am going to try and read of your blogs but it is already 12.12am and yours was my 1st ..haha :). Don't think I will go far today.

Just also want to let you know that the sun room is coming together really nicely. I think you will now make time to finish it?