Thursday, April 21, 2011

Monoprints

  I  have LOADS of books and old craft magazines and they have lots and lots of projects in them.  I tend to read them and think "someday I will try that out".  Well- what am I waiting for??  While I was doing the never ending cleaning of the craft room this week I found some re-inkers for the colorsnap ink pads and I decided to try out mono-printing.  Mono printing is a form of printmaking that produces one unique image.  Even if I do a second attempt at the print- it is not exactly the same as the first print.  The type of monoprinting I tried out involves putting the ink on a surface- etching into the ink and then transferring the ink to the paper to make the print.  These are the re-inkers that I used for this project.  If I try this again I might see how using acrylic paint from tubes works-maybe if I use a thicker medium I would get a stronger print?
So you start off with a piece of glass or plexiglass.  I put a few pea sized drops of ink down right onto the surface of the glass.
Then you take a sponge (I used make up sponges from the dollar store) and spread the ink out a bit- using a separate sponge for each color.
Here is the fun part.  I used a rubber stamp and stamped right into the ink.  I cleaned off the stamp and stamped into the ink a second time with the clean stamp.  Then I took a wooden stick and drew some squiggles right into the ink.  The article stopped here- but I thought...I wonder what would happen if I put some paper shapes down in a couple of places too?  (those are the pink flowers)
Now you carefully lay your piece of paper onto the ink and take a brayer and roll over the back of the page- being careful to keep the page in place and not letting it slide around.  I did this 3 times because I was curious how many times the ink would last.  The yellow page is my first print- the lavander is the second print and the green is the third. 
I thought this was pretty fun and could be used in so many different ways. I wanted to make something right away with one of the prints so I took the strongest print on the yellow paper and I cut it out and layered over some other papers to make a quick card. I think I'll go write a note to a sweet friend in it and pop it in the mail :)

18 comments:

Mandy said...

Adorable! You are such a sweetie!

An Unusual Girl Named Christine said...

Hey that turned out pretty cool! I'm so sure that card is coming my way...I'm going to check my mailbox right now....

De said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for the instructions, Kim. I have some re-inkers around too...

Lataina said...

The paper turned out really cute for the card. You always use such bright happy colors! I love it! =)

Cinderella Moments said...

That is such a neat thing! You can really have fun with this. I love the way it turns out.

Caroline

Sans! said...

I have never heard of re-inking :) but it is definitely a cool and creative way of making art :). Every card made this way is special,Kim. Thank you for showing us how.

Katie said...

Neat! Handmade cards are the best!

Rosa-kreattiva said...

Grazie per essere passata a trovarmi, che bello!!!
tantissimi auguroni di buona pasqua e gioiosa pasquetta

Julia said...

This looks like a really fun project. Of course, it's beautiful too, just like you!

Cyndi L said...

How can anyone not want to try monoprints? It's such a great technique, and I love what you did with yours, Kim!

Ascension said...

Me encanta tu imaginacion y lo bien que te salen todos tus inventos.
Te ha quedado una bella tarjeta y quien la reciba seguro quedara encantada.
besitos ascension

Linette said...

I love how your monoprint turned out. It was a great idea to add the cutouts! I might have to give that a try. It would be wonderful for handmade cards.

Kim said...

Mandy- you are a sweetie too! :)

Chris- I don't have your address girl! If you emailed it to me you might find fun stuff in your mailbox once in awhile! Are ya digging fast internet?? Did I mention CONGRATS on your great achievement??!!! I'm still smiling for you!!

De- thank you! This was a fun project :)

Lataina- thank you :) You must love color as much as I do :)

Caroline- thank you!

Sans- thank you! Can you tell I have been exploring other things lately :) Maybe I will learn something that will sneak into my minis :)

Katie- thank you- they are, aren't they? So fun to get in the mail!

Rosa- a very Happy Easter to you too ♥

Julia- thank you- you are such a wonderful friend. You have made my whole weekend!

Cyndi- thank you! It was so fun! I think when I try again I'll spend a lot more time on my design and play more with different textures to use on the ink.

Ascension- thank you so much. I love your imagination too- you are always so sweet ♥

Linette- thank you! If you use an ink that washes out with water this might even be fun for older children :)

Eileen Bergen said...

What a clever idea for using those monoprints.

I was partial to the yellow one too ;-)

Minnie Kitchen said...

wow! so cool!!! have a great weekend~

Joyce at Calico Paint said...

Great post! I like the idea of making greeting cards with art work. I have been wanting to try monoprinting. I saw a demonstration with Golden Open Acrylics last week - the cool thing about Open Acrylics is that they stay wet a lot longer than regular acrylics.

Rosella said...

Grazie per essere passata a trovarmi e Auguri di Buona Pasqua!
Tu hai sempre tanta creatività.
Bacioni da Rosella

Cherie said...

What an interesting technique!~ I never knew this, but it looks so charming. I'm a sucker for those colors, too.