Thursday, April 7, 2011

Finishing the Felted Bracelet

Last week I needlefelted a "journal bracelet".  This week I am finishing the bracelet. I found this project in one of my newsletters from the magazine "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" and the author's bracelet was centered around a memory from her childhood.  I did not have a memory I wanted to journal- so I went with a theme of flowers instead because I love gardening.  First I needle felted some green wool roving into little balls- the color reminds me of the first greens of spring.  I wanted to use supplies I already had on hand, so I found these round wood shapes and drilled a hole in each one.  Then I added some green paper on each side and painted the edges gold.  To finish these up I drew a flower on each circle.

Using embroidery thread I sewed these pieces to the bracelet.  I didn't think it really looked finished, so I went back to the supply stash and found some plastic flower buttons.  I painted these gold and added them to the bracelet.
I think it's finished now!  This was a really fun project and I think if I do it again I would make the actual bracelet a lot wider so I had more room to embellish.  Here's the finished bracelet:

17 comments:

De said...

That is SO cute, Kim! Your projects are making me want to try needlefelting. :)

Cherie said...

Love the embellishments!

Ascension said...

Te ha quedado precioso!!!!
besitos ascension

Papillon Bleu said...

Kim, this bracelet is fabulous! You ahve used some of my favourite colours! red and green. I don't like when people associate thee colours to Xmas only because there are so many beautiful and bright greens! Just like the one you've used!
Bravo!!!!

Sans! said...

I have enjoyed the progress of your felted bracelet a lot. I felt like I was in your head when you are deciding on what to do next. :)

Will you wear the bracelet all the time? Or only when you are gardening? :)

Linette said...

I've been very into making bracelets lately. I might have to give this one a try!

Cyndi L said...

That's adorable! I've been exploring different ways of using needle felting in jewelry, and I need to go find that article!

Eileen Bergen said...

Very cute, Kim! You kept adding to it, but knew just where to stop. I have a hard time with that. lol.

Sharon - Rekindle Me said...

Beautiful!!! Looks like spring is in the air!

Julia said...

I love this! Okay, so I went to JoAnn's intending to purchase a felting needle and yarn. I left confused. There were several different needles. I also wasn't so sure about the yarn. I need help.

Sandra Collins said...

beautiful!

Cinderella Moments said...

What a great project. Your bracelet turned out amazing!

Caroline

A Creative Dream... said...

I really like how that turned out Kim, love how you have the beads that dangle from it... adds a wonderful dimension!

Laura said...

That is so cute! I love it!!

((Hugs))
Laura

dale's dreams said...

I agree, next time I would make it wider to get more baubles on it.

It looks wonderful! I love the gold coins. :)

Kim said...

De- thank you ♥ Needlefelting is so fun- I think you should go for it! I think you would love making the tiny animals :) Just watch your fingers!!

Cherie- thank you!! I wasn't too sure about the embellishments. I think this is one of those projects you get better at with practice :)

Ascension- Thank you!!! Hugs!!

Patricia- I love red and green too- especially with a little gold or orange- hee hee. Thank you for your sweet comment ♥

Sans- I think I may give the bracelet away to a friend that needs a lift :)

Linette- I think you should try it out! Have you needlefelted before? I love to wear bracelets- I can't stand rings on my fingers so they are a good alternative. :)

Kim said...

Cyndi- I hope you post if you do some needlefelting. Thank you for the info you sent to me- I didn't even know there were so many different fibers to use! I think some experimenting might be in my future too!

Eileen- thank you! I didn't really know when to stop- lol- I just felt like if I kept going I would make it worse :) I have notes for myself if I try this out again.....I mean WHEN I try this out again :)

Sharon- thank you!!!!!

Julia- thank you!! I hope I see some needlefelting embellishments on your wonderful work soon!

Sandra and Caroline- thank you!!

June and Laura- thank you :)

Dale- thanks! I think wider would be better too.