Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I love weekends!

I was lucky enough to have a three day weekend over the fourth of July.  I am truly appreciative of this after years and years of working retail and not having holidays off.  My hubby and I spent time out in the garden weeding- seems like we had more weeds than veggies or flowers after all the recent rain.  At night I was able to do a little crafting and I decided that I would drag out the last of the dollhouses that I have and start them- just work on whichever project inspired me at the moment.  Ira from http://merryjingle.blogspot.com is actually the person that inspired me to do this.  Her blog is wonderful- and she has more than one dollhouse in the works right now too.  I just keep thinking about the candy house, so I figure if I get a chance to work on it a little bit I'll be able to think about something other than the candy house once in awhile.  Anyhow- I didn't get too far.  The candy house is my biggest "kit bash" attempt so far, and I'm trying to think things through as I go so I don't have a big problem further down the line.  It is "The Orchid" kit from Greenleaf on the top with an added bottom floor so I would have just a little more room to decorate :)  The other dollhouse is one of those little kits from Michael's arts and crafts store.  I think it's closer to half scale.  I ripped off the porch that came with it and I"m going to turn this house into a little cabin for Lester the Bear.  I'm going to add new porch posts that will look like logs with a stone base.  I also added new windows and filled in the large holes left by the "kit" windows and added a new door.   Here's how far I got over the weekend.  I'm pretty happy I was able to squeeze some mini time in and still got the garden weeding done. 

10 comments:

Merry Jingle said...

So nice that you got a long weekend - I'm still fighting with the weeds, the are monstrous in my garden :D

And happy to inspire you, thank you so much for your lovely words :) It's fun to have many houses under construction simultaneously as you can change to do the house you want depending on your mood - just hope that I would get at least one of them ready some day :D

And the houses look great, I found the kit bashing quite easy with the Greenleaf houses as the wood they are made of is so easy to cut :) Can't wait to see how the candy shop comes together :)

Lainie's Little Things said...

I was SO glad we all got a three day weekend. It was wonderful. Glad you had a good one. You got a lot done. Looking good!
Hugs,
Lainie

cockerina said...

Hello Kim! I'm glad you've finally been able to spend your time well on the weekend! work in the garden is hard and tiring, I think it's much more fun to start a new dollhouse! ha ha!
I'm curious to see your hut the bear ... will spend more in a cup of tea in this blog to see how work is continuing!
Your translator does not work! I am sending you a mail ...
a big hug, Caterina

Julia said...

I can't wait to see the progress on this cabin as you go along. You are always coming up with the cutest, most creative ideas!!! Glad you got some time off. It's much deserved.

Fiver said...

How FUN!!!! Seeing all the cool houses all of you (that I've met in blogland) are making and decorating is really starting to make me want to do the same. I'm eager to see the little bear cabin Kim.
Some advice - call in sick once in a while, everybody does it because everybody needs more 3 day weekends in their lives ;)

Ascension said...

Enhorabuena por esos 3 dias de fiesta, aunque trabajases en le jardin, aun has tenido tiempo para tus casitas.
No entiendo bien lo de la casita de caramelo, vas a hacer una tienda de pasteles?
Espero ver pronto adelantos en tu refugio para el oso Lester, seguro que quedara genial.
Vas atener mucho trabajo este verano, con tantas casitas jejejeje
besitos ascension

Kim said...

Ascension- I call this house the candy house- what I really mean is that the outside of the house will be decorated like a gingerbread house would be- with cookies and candy instead of the traditional wood trims, etc. A little girl will live in the house- and it will be a normal house inside :) Sorry I keep confusing everyone!

sunshine said...

I hope that the little girl's name that lives in the candy house is "Laura"! Cause I just so happen to know a Laura that would love to reside in such a place. :P

Glad that you had some time to get things done over the weekend! I hate weeding. Want to come do mine too???

((Hugs))
Laura

dale said...

I love the weekends, too! Even though I don't work outside the home, I try to make them weekends by other peoples standards. ;)

This house is so cute! I look forward to seeing it's progress. Isn't get great to get inspired from other bloggers to get things done? :)

Ara said...

I love getting a long free weekend too! But haven't had one of those in a while! Can't wait to see how this one comes along!!! hugs, ara