Thursday, July 1, 2010

Healthy Thinking Thursdays

Having a great week this week.  I feel like I'm catching up with obligations and I feel like I have more energy.  Last week I went back to the doctor- again.  I had been having a lot of dizzy spells again.  Turns out my blood pressure is still low and they cannot lower my dosage any further on this particular medication.  The doctor said we should do a trial of taking me off the medicine cold turkey for a month and monitor my blood pressure every day- go back in a month and discuss the results.  I have been off of the medicine for a week now and I can already tell such a difference.  The dizziness has stopped again and I think I"m not feeling as tired.  I really don't want to go back to the blood pressure medicine, so my exercise regimen has become really strict now.  I excercise for at least 30-50 minutes each day for sure now.  Sometimes this is a walk, sometimes it's on the eliptical, but sometimes if I'm short on time it's just "power- housecleaning".  I'm hoping with keeping my salt intake down, staying away from fast food and exercise that when I go back to see my doc he'll say all is good.  Still no stepping on the scale,but the clothes are fitting loose still so I'm not worried.  Last night I picked a bucket full of peas out of the garden and a large bundle of lettuce- so I'll be eating healthy this weekend!  Happy 4th of July weekend to my American friends- and have a wonderful weekend to all!!

16 comments:

Dani said...

Can you send some peas to me ;)...isn't cool Kim from your own garden...gifts from nature which makes us smile, hope you have a wonderful day Kim, lots of love from a warm Holland Xxx

Tallulah Belle said...

Glad you hear you are feeling so good Kim. Fingers crossed you can stay of the BP meds.

Fresh peas....yum !

Have a great 4th July.

Merry Jingle said...

Great that you're feeling better and hope that you can leave the meds out for good :) Peas and lettuce, that's for sure healthy stuff :)

Julia said...

I am so proud of you! I've gone back to my yoga class. I love it. I just don't do the things that hurt my sciatic ridden hip. We have squash, beans, peppers, etc... out of our garden. Yum! Sometimes meds make us sicker than the illness. I know that to be true. Continue to take care of yourself. I value your friendship.

Angela said...

That is fantastic news on the medication....I'm praying you don't have to take it. Randy has been able to stay off the med's also. Watching what he eats, watching the salt and getting some exercise has definitely brought it down....

Claudia said...

I'm walking more and more and I've cut back on my salt intake, as well. Keep at it - I will, too!

xo
Claudia

Briarwood Miniatures said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Kim. That's always a powerful motivator. Have a wonderful holiday weekend! {{hugs}}

Cia

Heather said...

Good for you. With the kids out of school I haven't been excersising at all. But I'm trying to eat better. Summer is a perfect time to do that. I'll have to hit some farmers markets for peas!

Lainie's Little Things said...

So glad you're feeling better!
Lainie

kibbygirl said...

sounds great Kim. I find getting the exercise in can be hard so way to go! You deserve to feel great!

Katie said...

I take BP meds, too! And have tried a bunch due to low BP...I have a fast Heart rate...and recently had talked to the doctor about upping my meds to control the HR, but we can't because my normal BP is around 100/60...So I totally hear ya!!

And I love Peas!! Used to get in trouble as a kid all the time for eating them before my parents could pluck them! They were sooooo yummy!

Hope you have a fun weekend, too!!!
Katie

ittybittyandpretty said...

that is great news. i hope you can keep up with your daily exercise, it is not only good for weight loss but wonderful for your mental health as well. i have been a bit slack lately but when i do get on the treadmill i feel wonderful after.
love the miniature flower shop ribbon rack!!'
xxxxrosey

sunshine said...

Yay! Good for you! On EVERYTHING!
The weight loss, the exercise AND the fact that you are off your meds for now. (I hope it works out!)

You are doing GREAT Kimmy!!!
Love you!

((Hugs))
Laura

Fiver said...

OH Good deal Kim!! I'm really happy you're feeling better. I bet you can say good-bye to the medication for good, especially if you keep up your healthy ways.

Papillon Bleu said...

Kim, eat all the good fresh things that you are growing in your garden! There are so many simple and tasty recepies I could give you. Today, for example I had fresh salad with fish and fried asparagus. You take fresh asparagus and gently frie them in olive oil with some garlic the add a bit of cod ( so French!) you can add anything you want with fresh salad. Make your own dressing also. It is always healthier.

Kim said...

thank you all for your sweet comments- I think you all keep me going and keep me trying when I want to give up- especially all the problems I've had with my blood pressure! You are all WONDERFUL!!!!!