Thursday, June 17, 2010




It's Healthy Thinking Thursday time!  I did a lot of thinking about this post--- last week I did not even feel like writing it and so I decided I am having burn out and I'm going to follow my friend Jessie's example and go to posting every other week for Healthy Thinking.  I read an interesting article this week and one point stuck with me:

"If you set a weight-loss goal that's too low for you to maintain, you'll get caught in the trap of yo-yo dieting -- losing weight, gaining it back, and trying to lose it again. The best weight goal is one you can live with."

I think this is why I won't step on the scale.  I am even thinking about just throwing the scale away.  A couple years ago I lost quite a bit of weight.  Friends and family kept asking me if I was sick and not telling them.  I looked fantastic-thinner than I ever was-even in high school!  However, while I was at this weight I hardly ate.  I felt horrible-  headaches and I was cranky.   You see, I love to eat.  I love food.  I love flavors and I love the feeling of being full.  I think that weight was too low for me, even if I did look fantastic-but I think I'm making things too hard on myself because I'm not achieving that weight again this time around.   I'm not even going to think about the scale anymore.  I'm going to focus on how my clothes fit, how my body feels, where my energy levels are at, where my emotions are at.  Lately I am doing okay on exercise, I am doing so-so on eating (maybe a bit too much chocolate lately) and my emotions are good- what I cannot figure out is why I am still so very, very tired.  I have had times in the past where this has happened to me.  I may get depressed and sad and feel tired, I may just do too much and get run down, maybe I've been working on too many projects.  However, this time I really don't think any of those things are the reason.  I've been eating balanced, I've been getting exercise plus I've been in the garden a lot, I've been happy- so where is the exhausted feelings coming from?  Is it my age?  Is it a side effect from the new medicines?  Is my allergies to my cats getting worse?  Yesterday my hubby heard on the news that a lot of Minnesotans suffer from a vitamin D deficiency.  I'm wondering if this is the culprit.  I am sporadic about taking my vitamins- I forget all the time and I don't like how they make my stomach feel anyhow.  I do tend to limit my time in the direct sun because I've had skin cancer.....and Minnesota winters are not the sunniest either.  This week I am going to get some vitamin D and see if it peps me up any.  If not, I'm back to the doctor to see what he says about the side effects of the medicines I am on.  I am still determined to be healthy and to learn to love the person that I am, whether that is a size 12 or a size 7.  What I would love to achieve right now is to be excited to go for a walk and get some exercise because I feel alive and vibrant---not feeling forced to go for a walk and having to talk myself into doing it because I feel so darn tired.  So- no tips for today and if you are actually reading this- thanks for hanging in there with me.  I know these Thursday posts sound whiney and complaining and down....but right now these are the things I am struggling with and I would feel fake to lie and say I feel great and I'm doing great if I'm not.  I've got some pictures to share tomorrow of some new minis I've received from some terrifically talented people- so come back tomorrow for a better post!

10 comments:

Angela said...

"What I would love to achieve right now is to be excited to go for a walk and get some exercise because I feel alive and vibrant---not feeling forced to go for a walk and having to talk myself into doing it because I feel so darn tired. "

You took the words out of my mouth girl!~

Katie said...

One day at a time....that's my Motto. And don't feel bad about expressing your true feelings, it reminds us that we're all human! Big hugs to you!!! Katie

Claudia said...

Hang in there. I've gained weight in San Diego instead of losing weight! Go figure. I walk a lot more but I think I've had one too many sweets as comfort food.

Perhaps it is the medications. You'll get to the bottom of it.

xo
Claudia

kibbygirl said...

Hey, a good post is an honest post. I think we would all feel better if we were honest with ourselves and each other. Pretending doesn't help anyone in my opionion. I heard a good point of view a long time ago ( I don't know where now ) but is was something like: do you want to end up at the end of your life looking skinny and well preserved or like you had a great life?!

Jill said...

Wow, I could relate to so much of what you said.
It could be your meds, or maybe an iron deficiency? I know that I get really run down when my iron is down. Maybe you could have your doc check you out, maybe run a blood panel.
Whatever you do, do it soon so you can feel better!
Hugs,
Jill

Sans! said...

Thank you for sharing, Kim. Yes, I read the post, start to finish. I have had many of these unmotivated days too and it is good to let it out and if nothing else, the fact that you have somehow helped another with this post- like hey you are not alone- should hopefully make you feel better as well :).

Zlatica said...

Dear Kim, I´m sorry you feel so exhausted.
Maybe you should slow down a little bit. I agree with you, the weight isn´t the right thing to watch. Just focus on being healthy. Do not force yourself. Enjoy life and be happy!
Love,
Zlaica.

.... x hel x .... said...

Hi Kim,

I haven't checked in with you for a while, so helloie! I totally agree with this post. I think I am going to ditch my weight loss page on my blog. The battery has been gone in my scales for quite a while and I started to feel like I should replace it, but then I realise, I feel happy with how I am at the moment and my clothes fit and I'm reasonably healthy. Why do so many women feel the need to always be on a diet. I think it is more important to focus on your happiness and if that means eating a chocolate bar then so be it! Hope you feel less tired soon, it might be the vitamin D thing. You could sit out in the sun with a parasol, I think it's more about getting in the light than in the sun!

Much love

x hel x

Wendy Luane Barber said...

I love your posts, whiny or not. We all have moments. I think that not thinking about the scale is a good thing but about how you feel and look in your clothes. I heard that a lot of people have vit D deficiency, all over the states. Maybe a sunlamp too? Do you take your vitamins with food? If I don't I get queasy too. Also if you take individual vitamins, some you shouldn't take together because they cancel each other out.

I'm glad you're getting over your hump. I'm working on it too. Big southern hug to you.

Julia said...

As you know, I gave up my FFFriday posts altogether. I started feeling the pressure to LOSE about Wed. of every week. That wasn't going to work! Ha! So now that I've given it up, i'm actually doing about the same but without feeling the pressure. My husband continues to lose. Go figure!
I understand the tired feeling. I have been in a major funk lately. I don't want to do anything. I'm not even really in the mood to sew, and that's a little scary.
I am hoping that you find what's causing you to be so tired. I don't like that my friend isn't at the top of her game! I think meds are the culprit for a lot of our maladies. If we could only get our drs. to agree.