Wednesday, June 2, 2010

garden, chickens and cat beds :)

I have been in a bit of a creative standstill.  I think it is because I would rather be outside playing in my garden.  Last weekend my hubby came home with a new suitcase for me ( I love old suitcases- I store tons of things in them and I have them in almost every room of my house- except the kitchen and bathroom ).  The top was quite beat up, but I remembered seeing a project once where someone made a pet bed out of an old suitcase and I thought this would be the perfect time to try this out.  Here is the suitcase with the top cut off and an old blanket thrown in there to see if my idea would work.  Henry cat climbed right in and thinks it is great.  I am going to put some feet on it, re-enforce the bottom with a piece of plywood and sew a pillow to match the suitcase color- stay tuned at the end of the week for the end results!

I also have some new "pets" to share with you.  My hubby surprised me the other day when he came home from work with chickens!  We had to get that new coop built fast- believe me.....you do not want chickens living in your home for too long.  They do not smell very sweet.  I am so anxious for fresh eggs- but they still have a bit of growing to do.  They will eat out of my hand already- I am pretty happy about that!  We won't be eating these hens- I am not a chicken killing and feather plucking kind of gal.  Fresh eggs and chickens I can pet are just fine with me.  Aren't they kinda cute, in a chicken sort of way?
This next picture is of our strawberries- and a rusted bed spring I dragged out of my Mom's trash and brought home with me.  I'm going to plant a grapevine in front of it and let it get partially covered in vines.  I know- sometimes I have strange ideas- but I have a vision here, trust me.
I'll leave you with some garden pictures- because that is where all my time is lately :)  Have a great week!!!

14 comments:

sunshine said...

Wow! You always have the best ideas! A cat bed made out of a suitcase?? I never would have thought of that one but I'm sure that it is going to be great. I cannot wait to see the results.

We used to have hens on the farm I grew up on. (and one VERY mean Rooster for awhile). When they first begin to lay the eggs you may get some double yolks for awhile. Mmmmmmm... double yolks! I buy fresh eggs from an egg farm just outside of town. Nothing .. NOTHING can beat fresh eggs. :) If you can believe it, I go through 2 flats (5 dozen) of eggs every two weeks. :P

The garden pic's are great! Love the mattress idea. You deserve some kind of award for recycling!!!

Love you..
((Hugs))
Laura

Angela said...

Well girl, you sure have been busy outside. The place looks amazing..and those chickens..how cool. Great idea about the suitcase. Now I know what to do when I find me some more. I'm like you, I adore suitcases..and wicker baskets too

Sketching Girl said...

Love your ingenious pet bed, and Henry the cat seems to love it as soon as he saw it! Looking forward to seeing the newly corodinating feet and cat pillow!

Your garden is looking lovely! It is also where I have been hiding, in the garden with my camera - I'll have to post some pictures!
Thanks for sharing yours! :)

Dani said...

There they are the little ones....so sweet...i want them too !! ...and how cool is that to have your own suitcase bed !!....and your garden looks beautiful !!...

Much love Xxx

Dani

Caseymini said...

Love the cat bed. Our cats always try to sleep in our suitcases when we are packing for a trip. Now I know why.LOL Great idea!
Love the garden and the chicks. My daughter has chickens, so every so often I get fresh eggs. Much better than store bought.

kibbygirl said...

The chickens are really cute. My aunt had chickens and she loved them. My husband swears there is a big difference between fresh and store bought eggs too. The store bought ones don't seem to agree with him over much.

The garden looks great. I would rather be out there too. The mattress climber thing is a perfect idea. Why buy it when you can salvage it, right.

Kim-Anh Nguyen ART said...

hey Kim :)
thank you so much for your support <3
it mean a lot for me!!!

Zlatica said...

Kim, thanks for sharing your lovely place!
We have hens also and I love to have own eggs.

Marilyn said...

Cute kitty bed! I have an old bed springs downstairs...maybe I'll have to haul it up and out and try your idea. I counted 36 pots that I've done and have more to do in the back. The house is still a mess, but I'm happy playing in the dirt, too! ♥♫

Jill said...

I'm so jealous of your chickens! I think it would be so great to have chickens-- the ones that lay those pretty brown or blue eggs!
I love your bedspring idea-- brilliant! I totally "get" your idea!
Hugs,
Jill

Fiver said...

HAHA - that's a great idea for a cat bed!! I bet my two kitties would love it!
Yippee!!!! Chickens!! And they are VERY cute!!! Have you named them? I had a friend who had three chickens and they named them "Breakfast", "Lunch" and "Dinner" >:(

Julia said...

My cat would love that bed. You are so very creative!
I love fresh farm eggs. Thank goodness a couple of families in our church have chickens so we can get our eggs from them. Our daughter is thinking about getting chickens soon.
Your bedsprings idea is another great one.
Your flowers are beeyouuuutiful!

Papillon Bleu said...

Kim! I am happy to see you have Hens! WOW! Did I tell you I use to have some when I was in France? Fresh eggs and great friends! I had given a name to all of them.
They love Oyster shell you know? it is very good for the eggs.

Your cat looks very cosy in his new bed.

Hope everything is fine in your life. Are things better at work?
XXXXXXXX

Melly Kay said...

the cat bed suitcase is beyond brilliant...LOVE it!!! you are so creative Kim :D Your space is looking great!

and omg chickkkkkens!!! i want one :D