Thursday, May 13, 2010

Healthy Thinking Thursday



Another Thursday already!  Does time fly past you too?  Do you remember wishing and wishing for when you were older when you were a child?  Now I wish I had more hours to play!  It's time again for Healthy Thinking Thursday.  I'm feeling really great this week.  I still have not stepped on that scale.   I've done some work on being mentally healthy the last couple of weeks.  My biggest challenge lately is putting myself first, so I have been really concentrating on that.  Sounds a bit selfish, doesn't it?  I've been really concentrating on taking my medicine, taking my vitamins, trying to get veggies in every day even if I've been slipping up on the fruit :)  This week I started back at exercise since the eating and emotions seem  to be going well.  I have to admit that I hurt, but it is a good hurt that makes you think of inches lost as you moan in pain.  I think I was in such an emotional funk that I was finding it hard to really concentrate on Healthy Thinking, but I hope that this is a new start and that things will go much better from here out.  I know that if I can get my leg and butt muscles stronger gardening is going to be so much easier, so I have extra incentive there.  I am out in my garden almost every single day until it gets too hot (I sunburn really easy, so when late July and August hits there is mostly "dusk" gardening :) and weak muscles just won't do.

I wanted to share  these cool plates with you- I wish I could purchase just one- but what a great idea!  They are from a company named Slimware. 
 

The plates are designed to help you watch your portions- Each flower represents how much of a certain food group you should eat. Check it out here: http://www.slimware.com/Articles.asp?ID=172 So the veggies would go on the largest flower, the meat in the smallest flower and the carbs or side dish in the middle flower. If your meat is bigger than your flower- you are eating too much! Love it!!

I also wanted to share with you results from a Nurse's study that I read about in Prevention Magazine.
1. Exercising at least 3 times a week at a moderate to high intensity can reduce odds of mental decline by 46% in a study of adults over age 55.

2. Lifting weights twice a week can boost bone density and decrease falls by 40% in a study of women age 65 and older.

3. Women who walk at a brisk pace at age 60 are up to 200% more likely to remain disease free at age 70.

So, I guess the studies are showing me that living healthy, eating right and exercising will help me live longer and live better. Better keep at it :)

Here are the wonderful friends that sometimes post about their healthy journeys also- please visit them if you have time. I'll be back tomorrow for some long overdue welcomes to new followers ♥


Laura from http://sunshineshangout.blogspot.com
Angela from http://www.sacrificialdiet.com/
Jessie from http://beyondbaffled.blogspot.com/
and Julia does Fat Fighting Fridays http://juliassewsweetandspecial.blogspot.com

4 comments:

sunshine said...

I'm so happy that you are back to joining us this week! You were missed. :)

Even though you haven't weighed yourself it doesn't matter. The title of the post is "Healthy Thinking" anyways so that is our main focus, right? (and being hot of course... :P )

Great tips Kimmy, as always!
So glad that you are feeling better. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Zlatica said...

Hi Kim!
Those plates are very nice.
It is great that you are here again - and still healthy thinking!
:)

Jean Day said...

I just love the plate idea, so great. I was also excited to read the stats you posted. yeah!! I do walk at a brisk pace and I dance three times a week so maybe I won't end up with alzheimers, mom had, very scary!

beyondbaffled said...

Woah, those plates are a really neat idea. I'm going to check out that link. I wonder if we could find out the dimensions and maybe figure out our own version?