Thursday, April 15, 2010

Healthy Thinking Thursday



I'm feeling kind of cranky about Thursday's today.  Just being honest here- I'm allowed to be honest  on thursday, right?  It might be PMS or it might be having to admit that I am not 20 years old anymore, but I just feel cranky this last week about eating, exercise and medicine.  I hate that I need to pay attention to all three of these- but hopefully writing this out will make it better......and just like weight watchers- a new week always fills me with new determination and a little bit of excitement about being the best I can be.  I did really well with my goals from last week- I walked almost every day and I did the exercise tapes- but not the entire workout because I am so out of shape that it hurts so darn bad!  I think I have "hobbled" out of my bed every single day this week- I'm trying to be patient waiting for that magical day when my muscles adjust and there is not so much pain that goes along with the exercise.  I just know it has to be coming along soon!  I did OK with my eating- still need to focus on that sooo much. I did get veggies at the beginning of the week and chop them up for snacks, but I am out now and I need to fix that soon!   I need to remember to eat slower and I still need to adjust portions more---some days I'm really good about putting more veggies on my plate than meat and carbs- but then other days I blow it by not cooking a vegetable at all.
This is a super boring post today because I was so cranky this last week that I didn't even look for new tips- it was all I could do just to concentrate on the goals I had.  I didn't weigh today- I think I could have lost, but when I am already in an off mood- if the scale is up it can sabotage me so I just choose to wait till a better day.  My goals for this next week:

1.  Take care of myself first!  I know this sounds stupid- but I have been running for work, my hubby and my mother-in-law.   I've cancelled my planned exercise time twice this last week to fit in things for my Mother-In-Law and since she does not work and I do- I think the next time I will tell her that I can help her, but after I do what I already had planned.  I don't think that is too unfair- do you?

2.  Buy a couple of the smaller plates I was looking at the other day.  Our plates are really large and I think if I started out with a smaller plate and therefore smaller portions maybe I would have more control?  You know- like if I have to actually get up and refill my plate it might make me think about if I am full or not?  I have a hard time leaving any food on my plate too, so maybe starting with a smaller plate will help in that area too.

Anyhow- I promise I will be in a much better mood about healthy living next week.  I think the hardest part of this last week has been feeling so sore- I think when this passes I'll be back to normal and raring to go!

Please visit my friends to see how they are doing and give them some encouragement too.  Laura at http://sunshineshangout.blogspot.com   Angela at http://www.sacrificialdiet.com/  Jessie at http://beyondbaffled.blogspot.com/  and Julia from http://juliassewsweetandspecial.blogspot.com  does Fat Fighting Fridays, so you could visit her tomorrow.

I hope to be back tomorrow with my project of the week if I can finish up--it's a very special one so I hope you check back in :)

14 comments:

.... x hel x .... said...

Hi Kim,

Don't be too hard on yourself! If you are doing anything at all towards being healthier and really care about being healthy, which I know you are and do, you are doing really well. I like the idea about smaller plates, it made me realise that mine are quite big. I don't think Gareth would like me giving him a smaller plate, but I could have one.

x hel x

De said...

We almost always use the salad plates rather than the dinner plates for that very reason, Kim. You do have to think before getting seconds. We also serve buffet style rather than have the food on the table. Then you actually have to get up to get more food. Hang in there. Making these kinds of changes will lead to some grumpy days...and that's ok. :-)

Carol said...

Hi Kim,

It's nice to know that others feel the same way about diet and exercise as I do :) I enjoy reading your blog and watching your bus take shape. I have an award for you at my blog: http://true2scale.blogspot.com/2010/04/award.html

Merry Jingle said...

You're doing great and you're point no 1 is the most important, you take care of YOURSELF first.

I'm in a lucky position with exercise as I do 3-4 hours physical work everyday and have 5 BIG dogs, so no need to work out.

A good thing to think before eating is "Am I really hungry?" Before my current lifestyle I was getting heavier and heavier and I decided that I only eat when I'm truly hungry as I realized that I ate out of habit. It has worked for me quite nicely and I find that the food tastes so much better, when you really are hungry.

Just keep on going, you're doing great! :)

Ira

sunshine said...

We've had the "Mother in law" discussion before and you know my feelings. :P
Mine leaves for Italy in 2 weeks!!! Wheeee!!!!!

I know. It just doesn't seem fair that we can't eat what we want and how much we want anymore. Exercise is a must instead of a maybe. :(
I'm the same age as you.. (29) and .. ... what??? You heard me! Twenty nine! Anyhow, when you get into your late 20's .. you have to be careful. It sucks.

I'm sure that you lost weight too. If you were walking then you most likely did. I use smaller plates for myself too and it really does work.

Good luck for next week. You know where I am if you need me! :P

((Hugs))
Laura

Kim said...

Thank you to everyone for your encouragement. I really don't mean to sound negative- but I also don't want to write false words on this particular subject because in reality it is hard for me and does make me cranky at times. I always take all your tips into consideration as I struggle along with this-so thank you and keep them coming! I know from experience that the pain will stop and I will hit a point when the exercise feels great instead of causing pain and crankiness- it's just a matter of holding out until then :) I really appreciate all of your support more than I can say- it keeps me from quitting! Big huge hugs to all of you!!!!

Angela said...

((((((((hugs)))))))))) I'm learning that I too need to take care of myself. I thought I did, but I really don't. I'm so busy taking care of everyone else that I put myself last and by that time I'm in bed early because I'm totally burnt out...

Tallulah Belle said...

Chin up Kim...what you are doing isn't easy for most of us and you are doing splendidly.

Just think...it could be worse and the start of winter :-)

ittybittyandpretty said...

as a new follower i didnt find your post boring at all, in fact quite helpful. my hubby and i have noticed how hard it is to shift our weight now that we are nearing 40 and some of your obvious goals were actually things that i need to do too..cut up veges for snacks would make it much easier to choose rather than an unhealthy alternative. and if they are there ready to go all the better. all of your tips were wonderful...thanks for having a bad thursday!! :)
%*_*% rosey
p.s. i came because julia suggested we visit...

beyondbaffled said...

Sorry you've been having such a hard time. It sounds like you and I have had a similar week, but that only means that next week will be better!

Kim said...

Thank you Jayne, Angela, Jessie and Rosey! Rosey- so glad you stopped by! I need to visit your blog now :) I'm in a better mood today and I am determined this will be a good week :) Jessie- I know this will be a better week for you too- I'm sending you some of my "good" vibes!!

Jayne- I think winter is part of what does this to me- I get too lazy, like a hibernating bear! I think I need to dig those cross country skis out next year!

Tallulah Belle said...

Cross country skis...lol ....you crazy woman.

glad you feel better today xxx

Wendy Luane Barber said...

OMG! We've kind of had the same week. I had a mini meltdown and asked myself why I was upset. PMS, peri-menopause, whatever. My job sucks, I know it, it's not a surprise at what goes on there, and as soon as possible I will be out of there.

Now that I look back on it, it was pretty silly. I did feel like a 3 yr old who wanted more cake. LOL
Feeling much better now, especially since I was able to finish a couple of projects.

You are a doll. I also had to remind myself to take time out for me. Plus get back to my Tai Chi breathing exercises.

Hugs to you!

Marit said...

Hi Kim,

Last week I read your Healthy Thinking Thursday blog for the first time, didn't have the time to comment then. I'm busy with the same thing: trying to live a more healthy life and losing weight in the process. There's a Dutch website especially ment for people losing weight, where they can keep track on their weight, eating, exercise and have buddies to support them. My profile: http://suikerhartje.valtaf.nl/ I just started over again (lost 16 kilo, but got ill, now recovering), so the graph doesn't do much yet, but should show my weight and my weight-loss-plan against time. I think the graph is very encouraging. I shows exactly the results of a good or a bad week. It's a pity that it's in Dutch, so you can't read what I write every Wednesday, but I'll try to visit your Thursdays more often.

I have an award for you on my blog. I always have a bit mixed feelings about awards. They are ment to be a positive thing, but also ask precious time to give it to others, which can be a burden. So feel free to do whatever you like with it.

Marit