Thursday, April 1, 2010

Healthy Thinking Thursday

It is time for Healthy Thinking Thursday!!!!  I have mixed feelings about this last week.  I ate much better- I'm getting my fruits and vegetables in every day and I am drinking mostly water- I'm down to only one can of soda a day- some days none!  I did not get much exercise this past week- I had a LOT of dizzy spells.  When I went back to the doctor yesterday for my follow up on the blood pressure medicine he said my blood pressure is now too low-go figure.  I have a lower dosage of medicine now- so hopefully this will make the dizziness stop and I will be back at Heatlhy Living full force!  Whew, it's hard to take care of yourself as you get older!  My weight has stayed exactly the same- unfortunately I think I really need exercise to push any weight off my frame.  I hope to see good results on the scale next week because I will be back to walking every day unless for some crazy reason the dizzy spells come back.  While at the doctor's I was forced to know my true weight and I have 18 pounds to lose to be back to my former healthy frame.  This sounds so intimidating to me at the moment, so I have decided to break it down into 3 goals of 6 pounds each- and I think to spur me on I am going to do a little "healthy" give-away at each 6 pounds.  That should help me stick to it- how can I let readers down?  So- my first goal is 6 pounds off and then I will be giving away a cool gift to help me celebrate.  Here's some tips I found this week:

1.  Make eating purposeful, not mindless. Whenever you put food in your mouth, peel it, unwrap it, plate it, and sit. Engage all of the senses in the pleasure of nourishing your body.

2.  Eat the low-cal items on your plate first, then graduate. Start with salads, veggies, and broth soups, and eat meats and starches last. By the time you get to them, you'll be full enough to be content with smaller portions of the high-calorie choices.

3.  Walk around the mall three times before you start shopping.


I really like the last one- how simple is that?  okay- that's it for this Healthy Thinking Thursday.  My awesome friend Laura at http://sunshineshangout.blogspot.com/ is doing this journey with me and sometimes the uber cool Jessie at http://beyondbaffled.blogspot.com/ posts with us too.  Sweet  Julia from http://juliassewsweetandspecial.blogspot.com/ does Fat Fighting Fridays if you would like to see how she is doing this week, check in with her tomorrow.  I'll be back friday or saturday with the project of the week.  I really should get moving on that I guess, it's already thursday!

9 comments:

Julia said...

My gosh girl, will you ever get your meds straightened out? That dizzy feeling is awful!! It's hard to do anything when you are feeling all light headed!! I hope this new dose will work its magic!I don't know that I've lost any weight this week but I have been a pretty good girl!

beyondbaffled said...

Good luck Kim - I think you'll be able to get rid of those 18 pounds in no time! This is going to be such a great year!

sunshine said...

I have low blood pressure so, I know about those dizzy spells... blah.

I hope that this time they get the meds right! Sheesh!

18 pounds isn't too bad. It could be worse! I think that breaking it up is a great idea.

Love you,
Laura

Zlatica said...

I´m with you, Kim!
My week was terrible really (my hubby´s & daughter´s birthday parties + I´m sick).

cockerina said...

Hello Kim, how are you?? I wish you a Happy Easter and much happiness!
Caterina

Wendy Luane Barber said...

You can do it Kim!!!!! I'll be checking in on your progress. Exercising sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm glad it's spring here and I finally am able to get back to walking. I've also started Tai Chi which really relaxes me. I almost fell asleep stanging up the first time. :)

Lize said...

I have 18 pounds to loose too...
Come to think of it: Quite a few tubs of ice cream!

And a lot easier to put on than to loose!
Good luck Kim!!

Peach Blossom Hill said...

Thank you for the tips, Kim! I need to be joining you in this venture!

Jody

dale said...

Kim, I wish you the best health. :)

Thursdays always make me feel guilty. :(