Friday, March 12, 2010

Project of The Week and Shopping Sprees

 I have been having a small shopping spree lately buying some things from incredibly talented miniaturists and I thought I should share some of them with you.

First is an adorable Easter prep board made by Mel from http://melsminiatures.blogspot.com/  
You can find Mel's etsy shop here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/melsminis


I bought an awesome suitcase and a couple of Easter baskets from De at http://delightfulminis.blogspot.com
You can find De's etsy shop here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/minide
Cia from http://briarwoodminiatures.blogspot.com made the cutest bee skep....and she sent me a little extra goodie- this adorable birdhouse!  Thank you for the extra Cia- you are so sweet!  
You can find Cia's etsy store here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/briarwoodminiatures

Here's a picture of the bee skep in front of Bernard the Bear's house:)


I also received the most beautiful rug from Glenda from http://peppercornminis.blogspot.com
Glenda gifted me with this wonderful rug after I admired it on her blog-an incredibly generous gesture and it is even more beautiful in person.  Thank you Glenda- I love it!  You can find Glenda's etsy store here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/undancey


 Thank you to everyone- I really love all of these purchases and can't wait to add them to my dollhouses.  Now on to the Project of the Week. My project of the week for this week is not finished.  I have been using my spare moments this week between this new project and on finishing swap items that I can't show to you yet.  I almost tried to scramble to find something quick to do since I think you might think I am crazy when I show you this project- but then I thought- what the heck, I am kind of crazy :)  At least my hubby has been with me long enough now that he hardly bats an eye when I think up these crazy ideas.  I have always really wanted a grandfather clock, but since there are other items we need and want higher on the list than a grandfather clock I started thinking about how I could make my own version.  My Mom found this battery operated wall clock at the Goodwill and she bought it for me to play with.  I had a vision of a tall clock in my head, so I drew up  a sketch of what I was thinking of for my hubby and he built me this around my clock
You can see the original clock up on the top in dark brown, and then Randy built the case around it- it's hard to see here because it's laying on the floor.  I re-painted the clock face with oak leaves and  I added some drawer pulls that match another piece of furniture we refurbished in the room it is going in.  Next I got out my wood-burner and I burned an acorn vine into the wood.  That is as far as I progressed this week- next week I hope to fill in all the cracks and dents with wood putty, sand the top clock, paint the entire thing cream and then paint it burgundy.  I plan to sand some spots back so that the cream shows in places and I will paint the woodburned indents with cream.  Sounds crazy right now, but hold judgement till next week, ok?  You can buy a battery operated clock mechanism that has a pendulum and chimes, so I'm thinking of purchasing one of those and then it is almost like having a grandfather clock.  Lot less expensive anyways.  I'll be back later this weekend with more work on the bus :)

9 comments:

Glenda said...

Love the beeskep!
And the clock - wonderful!! Can't wait to see the progress - what a talented lady you are!
Thanks for posting the rug pic, Kim - much appreciated.

Happy Easter from Glenda

Briarwood Miniatures said...

Can't wait to see how the clock turns out. What a great idea! And thanks for the links, sweetie. I'm so glad you like your "treasures" and the bee skep looks great at Bernard's house! :)

Cia

dale said...

What wonderful treasures you have acquired, I have a suitcase from De, as well.

Looking forward to seeing the clock finished. :)

Zlatica said...

Kim, the suitcase is absolutely amazing!
I´m looking forward to your clock - it sounds interesting what you are planning for it!
Have a wonderful sunny and healthy weekend.

Claudia said...

Kim,

First of all, I love all your new minis. But the clock - inspired! You are so creative - what a great way to have what you want for much less money. Can't wait to see photos of the finished clock.

xo
Claudia

Marinbambu said...

I love painting, if you want to visit me:
http://marinbambu.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments. I am pretty excited about the clock- hope it ends up matching the vision I have in my head!

kibbygirl said...

Those are some great goodies! The easter stuff is so cute and the suitcase is awsome. I think the clock is a great idea, not crazy at all. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Johanna said...

Lovely beeskep :)