Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Bus Kit

I've been working on the floor of the Bus kit.  I decided that I wanted a wood floor so I started gluing skinny sticks down.  I glued each stick separately and applied pressure until each stick dried a bit before moving on to the next stick.  I am not sure if this was necessary, but I did not want warping floors so I just decided to take the extra time to do this.  After the glue was dry for 24 hours I started sanding the floor until it was smooth and all the cracks were packed full of the sawdust.  I used a gel stain on the floor and then rubbed the floor with wax after the stain was dry.
The next step is to glue the sides of the bus onto the floor and undercarriage piece.  I want the inside of the bus to have wallpaper- it's going to be fixed up like a motorhome- so I sanded the pieces and primed the front and back of each side piece with gesso.  I started to wallpaper with a pattern I found and printed off of the internet.  I am thinking I might frame out the windows also before I glue the sides to the floor piece- seems like it would be easier to do that now- so that's what I'll be working on for the rest of the weekend:)
Hope you are having a great weekend too!

10 comments:

De said...

It's looking great so far, Kim!

Maia's Twinkle Miniatures said...

It's turning out really nicely! I'm sure you're having a nice weekend as you work on it. :)
Maia

Jill said...

Oooh! I'm excited to see how this project progresses! Your floor is looking great! The floors that I installed in my little house warped this winter, and now I'm going to have to change them out-- bummer!
Hugs,
Jill

Dani said...

Oh wauw Kim, you work hard on it....i want too but get no time yet :( , hope you have a wonderful weekend too, good to see you are busy creating ;), me busy with the little one....but he is doing fine so it is worth it !!...till soon xxx Dani

kibbygirl said...

I like the idea with the floors. I can't wait to see how the whole thing turns out.

The Lone Dollier said...

Wonderful idea with the floors! I hope my bus kit turns out as great as yours looks to be.

Smiles~
Marilyn

dale said...

The flooring looks great!

What's going to go inside the bus?

Julia said...

I can't wait to see this finished. I'm having to work really hard to stay focused on my healthy stuff since basically taking a week off while visiting our daughters.

My Realitty said...

Great start.What kind of walls? Cheers CM

victoria said...

Gracias por comparir como siempre lindo,gracias amiga.Con cariño Victoria