First, I labeled all of the pieces with pencil according to the directions. Then I popped out the main pieces- a few of them needed a little scoring with an x-acto knife. I put the pieces into piles- wheels, seats, etc.
There was one sheet with lots of pieces that are the details that are added towards the end of the build. I left these pieces on the sheet for right now- I thought they would be easier to keep track of this way.
The directions called for the bottom carriage of the bus to be put together first, so I found all of the pieces for the undercarriage and sanded all of them. I dry fitted the wheel wells into the bottom of the flooring and after making sure everything was good I glued. Then you have to wait for glue to dry- the most annoying part!
I put the dowels for the wheels in the holes without the glue- just to help with the pieces drying straight. While waiting for the undercarriage to dry I glued the steps together following the directions. My advice for each step so far is to dry fit and check a few times--then go to the next step and check that with your dry fit to ensure you are putting things together correctly. My first try with the steps I was sure I had everything set- I put the glue on and set it aside with books on top to dry. After about 15 minutes something made me want to see how the steps would look with the undercarriage. I am so lucky I did this, because I had glued those steps together wrong!! I had to carefully pry them apart- scrape and sand off all the glue and start over. I have to stress moving ahead in the instructions and seeing if what you are doing fits with instructions further on-it will likely save you lots of grief! I now have the wheel wells glued on and the steps ready to be glued in. The instructions advised putting your flooring down at this point, so I started a wood floor with the skinny sticks I had in my stash. I ran out, but here is where I am at so far....now I need to make a trip to the store for more strips.