Thursday, February 18, 2010

Healthy Thinking Thursday

Some readers probably remember me posting last fall that I needed to get back to healthy habits and take better care of myself.    Well, I have not been very strict with that and when I went to the doctor for my neck I got a lecture on my blood pressure being too high-so now I really need to be serious about getting back to a healthy state.  My friend Laura from http://sunshineshangout.blogspot.com has been working on becoming more healthy also.  Laura and I decided to be partners on this journey- it 's always helpful to me to have someone to encourage me and celebrate my successes as well as to kick me in the butt when I start to decline.  I'm really grateful to Laura for deciding to let me partner up on healthy living with her- I know she will be a big help to me when I feel like quitting- I hope I can do the same for her :)  Laura posted some dresses she hopes to fit into this summer for inspiration to herself and I thought that was a great idea, so I am going to post a few dresses that no longer fit also.  Here are my 3 inspiration dresses:
 

Since I really want to stick with the program this time I am setting small goals for each week and trying to make the goals a habit in my daily routine.  My goals for this week are to drink waaaaay less soda and more water.  I am up to 6 glasses of water in a day and one can of soda- it's hard for me to go cold turkey on the soda because I get withdrawl headaches from no caffeine.  I am also trying to walk for 30 minutes at least 4 times a week to start.  Since the sun is shining longer- it is easier for me to walk outside after work now, so this has not been too hard.  I hope to keep posting my goals and maybe even to post recipes or tips as I find them.  If you would like to meet Laura and  see how she is doing the above link takes you right to her post for Healthy Thinking Thursday.  Thanks for doing this with me Laura- you are an awesome friend!!

16 comments:

sunshine said...

No. Thank you!!
You are always picking me up when I'm down. :)

You are doing great. I'm only drinking 2 glasses of water (I hate water) so far. Like you, I can't forgo my pop entirely.

Love those dresses and I cannot wait to see them on you this summer. :)

Great post.

((Hugs))
Laura

Peach Blossom Hill said...

I need to join you but I have no will power. I do try to drink extra water but am addicted to coffee and have the occasional soft drink. I also love sweets and live on chocolate in the winter. Pretty dresses. I know you'll enjoy wearing them soon!

Jody

Papillon Bleu said...

1- I want to answer your question about Alic stuff. Do you think you'd be happy to make a white rabbit with felt?Unless you want to do something else?
2-My wardrobe is full of dresses I can no longer wear. This winter has been a real disaster (on my hips).I feel tight even in my biggest clothes!HELP!
3-I am going to try to stick to good habits again. I've lost all my bearings since I've moved to England. It is going to help me follow you in this good new healthy thinking.

xxx

Kim said...

Laura- Love you girl!! Sorry I was late in posting- I'll be better next week :)

Jody--I don't have good will power either :) I hope I post some good tips for you as I journey along :)

Patricia- what a wonderful idea- I am getting lots of good pictures in my mind...March 1 is the deadline? I just found out another swap I am in that I thought was due the first is due the 20th of march, so I think I could do this!! count me in!!! Isn't winter hard??!!! Summer I am so active outside, but winter I stay inside and eat!! Bad habit!! Hugs to you my friend and thank you for the idea!!

Dlsarmywife said...

Kim those dresses are gorgeous! What a great motivational tool. Hmm maybe little goals is the way to go. I need to get back to drinking my water...I actually enjoy drinking water, but hate the glasses. I bought a nice big 'drinkable' jug from Walmart that hold 8 glasses worth. Must go fill it up right away. I have been trying to eat healthier or atleast smaller portions and that's kinda working. I need to start doing some exercises in the morning while my little man is in school...can't wait for it to warm up so I can get back to walking again! Good luck hun! =D

Lisa said...

YAY you! I'll be watching both of you and hope to draw inspiration from you guys. :O)

Have a great day!
Lisa

Kim said...

Deborah- I know you have been working on this too! Water is ok for me once I get used to it, but the first couple of weeks are hard for me- I have never been a person to drink a lot of anything. Thank you and good luck to you too! I think small goals are the way to go for me- I seem to stick to it better :)

Lisa- Thank you!! I hope you have a great day too!!!

Zlatica said...

Kim, that´s so funny. We have simmilar thoughts about healthy living. :)
Today I was in a fitness gym after my two year absence... I feel so good today. :)
I wish you a lot of good energy in accomplishing your healthy goals!

AminaShk said...

Wish you all the best Kim. I've been trying to lose weight since last two years. I have ups and downs :D. Hiking helps me lot and I see results in 2 weeks. But I love to cook and eat(I know, not a good combination) so whatever I lose I gain it back :D. I hope your updates motivate me to cut back on greasy food.

Melanye K. said...

you can do it kim!!! good luck with everything and keep us posted :D we all could use a kick in the butt lol.

i've been soooo bad with soda lately. (just finished off a large coke from mcdondalds!) it's terrible...i need more water. you've inspired me to keep trying :D

Minna said...

I wish you good luck with your "new life" Kim!

Angela said...

Awesome job with the soda intake and great job with the water girl. Your right, cold turkey would be HUGE..slowly but surely is definitely the wisest. I love that black dress....oh my....

julia said...

Kim, best of good wishes on your new regime. My husband and I have been working on getting healthier, too. He has tried harder than I have, and we are seeing the results. He had a check up this week. He'd lost 11 lbs. since his last visit about a month ago. We are very anxious to see what his cholesterol count is! He hasn't been on his meds in a month because it was causing leg cramps.
I am, as of yesterday, trying to get in a little more stretching and exercising each morning. I will be cheering you on. I am going to start posting about our progress, as well. I think it helps to be held accountable.

julia said...

Hey, would you and Sunshine be interested in having a few more folks in your healthy living group? I'm going to do a post about trying to get healthier here in a minute. I work best when under pressure, and the pressure of having to post results would maybe encourage me.

Kim said...

thank you so much everyone- little baby steps is the way to go for me this time I think- much more likely to stay with it when I don't overwhelm myself. Angela- that black dress is when I was the thinnest and most fit- so if I make it to that dress I will be soooo happy! Julia- Laura and I would gladly welcome anyone along with our Healthy Thinking Thursdays! If you would like to post with us, please do!! I wanted to make sure it was all good with her- but we are both super excited to welcome anyone on our healthy and fit journey!!

beyondbaffled said...

Kim I love your inspiration dresses - what a great idea - I may have to just borrow it! I need to be better about my health as well. My labs came back from my physical this week and an enzyme in my liver is too high and the doctor said it was due to my weight. So I'll be rooting for me and you both!