Thursday, January 28, 2010

Project of the week of January 25th

I actually finished my project of the week early this week.  Usually by now I have chosen a project for next week, but I am unsure what I want to do next week.  I have some swaps I need to finish up so I am thinking about a mini tutorial again- I can finish that up quickly and hopefully finish my swaps on time too!  Anyhow, my project of the week this week is from the book "Fleece Dog:  A Little Bit of Magic Created With Raw Wool and a Special Needle"  I bought this book quite awhile ago but for some reason have always felt a little intimidated by it.  The little dogs are just so cute and I didn't think my attempt would turn out anywhere close to the book- after all....you start with a wisp of wool, a chenile stem armature, a piece of hard foam and a needle!  How can those things possibly result in a cute little dog.  After I made this project I rushed out to the store to try to find more wool roving- I LOVE needle felting.  It is kind of relaxing to stab, stab, stab at the wool and kind of challenging to create a recognizable form out of pieces of wool. I didn't have the glass eyes that the book said to use for his eyes so I used stick pins cut down.  I think next time I may try to make some eyes out of polymer clay- his eyes seem a bit big to me.  I really had fun with this project- I think I will be making more wool creatures in my future! 

I made a version of a lab/retriever mix.  His name is Biscuit and he is the new best friend of my sweet dollie Amelie.  After I finished him I decided he needed a collar- made from ribbon, a jump ring and a bit of silver paper for the tag :)   I'm off to choose a project for next week- have a great day!!!



 

 

27 comments:

sunshine said...

Oh my gosh! Kim!
That turned out amazing! It's perfect. I think that they eyes look great.

Wow! I'm very impressed. Great job!

((Hugs))
Laura

Dani said...

Wauw Kim....what a sweety...you have really golden hands...see here the perfect little dog !!

xx Dani

AminaShk said...

awww.. he is soooo adorable. Makes me want to get some wool. Stabbing at the wool is relaxing? hmmm maybe I should try that out :)

Maia's Twinkle Miniatures said...

Oh Kim, I absolutely love Biscuit! I have a huge soft spot for labs and yours turned out really well, congratulations.
Why don't you make more little dogs for your next week's project,as they're so beautiful?
Maia

beyondbaffled said...

Biscuit is beautiful! That looks like something I would buy. You did wonderful - he's so cute! Do they have any tuts for miniature daschunds? Hint hint ;)

A. Wright said...

Kim, he's so CUTE! He really turned out great and thanks for the heads up on that book I may have to check it out :)

julia said...

How in the world do you do all these wonderful miniatures?

Briarwood Miniatures said...

Great job, Kim! He turned out beautifully!

Cia

De said...

He's so cute!

Melanye K. said...

kim -- how big is he? it's kind of hard to tell. i'd love to try something like this for my Blythe (she's 12" tall). a boston terrier would be so cute hehehe!

you did a great job!!

Katie said...

Oh Kim! I have been such a bad blooger! I can't believe that I have missed so much! You've been busy huh! Love that cute little pink dog! That's wonderful! And Lester's tight pants~ that had me laughing!! Love the pic of the 2 kitties snuggling~ mine only wants to hang out together too when it's freezing outside! heck, I can't even get my cat JD to come in unles sit's below 30 degrees...lol.

Hope everything is good on your end! Take care hun! Talk to ya soon:)
Katie

Susan said...

Aw, he's a darling! How clever you are!!

Jill said...

Oh my gosh! Biscuit is so precious! He's so adorable!!! I need to learn how to do this needle felting stuff- I'm seeing it a lot, and it looks fun!
Hugs,
Jill

Meli said...

Kim, the little dog is adorable!!!
He is so cute!!!
Meli

Jolie said...

Wow Kim!
Amazing work, so adorable!

angeles said...

es un perro tan dulce.... que bonito que te ha quedado¡¡ y la caja para las revistas esta maravillosa..saludos. anngeles

Kim said...

Thank you everyone!!! I think I will be making more- he was so fun to make!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Enchanted Gardens said...

Absolutely adorable!!!!!!

This is so strange, it looks exactly like my dog Biscuit who passed away last summer of old age. We've missed her terribly and this little guy made me so happy to see.

Keep needle felting!!

kathi said...

What an adorable little dog! You've done an awesome job with your needle felting! I'm SO impressed! Biscuit is so cute! Love him! :D

MARIA DEL CARMEN said...

Hi Kim
Thanks for your comment.
Biscuit is fantastic. Congratulations
Hugs

dale said...

He's adorable! :)

I love his face. :)

Susan said...

There is an award waiting for you at my blog!

Peach Blossom Hill said...

He's so cute! I have the book and the needle felting needles too but haven't been brave enough to give it a 'stab' pardon the pun. I am still trying to get the hang of punch needle. Why this eludes me so far, I can't figure out! Hope you are well. I've been trying to make mini's to launch my Etsy shop and have just changed my blog name to Peach Blossom Hill so have been AWOL again for a period. I've been pleased with my Etsy endeavors so far and just can't seem to make enough to keep a good number of listings in my shop--that's good that what I do list is selling but I've got to get better and faster!

kimsminiatures said...

I love your little dog. You should make more. Wonderful work. So cute! Hugs~ Kim

Papillon Bleu said...

Kim! this dog looks so much like one I had!!a real one I mean...
How sweet it is to see little Amelie has got a best friend.
I am very scared of needle felting but I think it is because of the word needle.Is ther a risk of puting the neddle in your finger accidentally?does it take a long time before it takes shape?
I am intrigued and scared at the same time...the result looks fantastic though!

Papillon Bleu said...

PS: if you see me with a crown, it is normal . I've been believing I was the Queen of the world since my ride with my mini hot air baloon( if you remember the little film). He!he!( and I was too slim on the other pic compared to what I see in the mirror at the moment).
Big hugs to you my friend!

Liberty Biberty said...

Biscuit is gorgeous! Maybe I'll look for a needlefelting book one day, it seems like a really fun thing to be able to do.
Amelie must be a very happy girl!
Mercedes