Tuesday, October 20, 2009

UUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!


I have a little story to post today.  It's short.  It's also a lesson learned.  I have felt crazy stressed out lately.  So much I need to finish and take care of and somehow not as many hours in the day as I need.  Sunday I decided that I was going to rebel.  I said "blast it" to the housework, to the letters I have half finished, to the christmas things I should be working on if I wish to finish them on time, to the hubby that wanted to work on remodeling the bedroom some more.  I said "NO!".  I will take some time and I will do some fun things- play with the clay that I always wish to play with but don't want to make a big mess for only a small amount of play time.  I went up to my craft room and I dug out all my clay and I made some cute little pumpkins.  Then I decided that I wanted to make a Halloween display for the front window of the flower shop dollhouse so I made some more pumpkins and some gourds and a cute little flower arrangement in a skull.  Anyone that has every worked with polymer clay knows about how long I worked on all of this cute little fall and Halloween decor.  I popped them in the toaster oven at the temp on the package and ran downstairs to get a glass of ice water.  I bet you know what I am going to tell you.  When I went into the kitchen my husband was peeling apples for applesauce so I stopped to help him.  I promptly forgot about the toaster oven.  I BURNED the be-geezus out of all those cute little creations- beyond salvageable- and I had to take a sheet and block off the upstairs and open all of the windows upstairs because burnt polymer clay fumes are NOT healthy for you.  I had to close up all the heat vents (we have our heat on already-it's dang cold here in minnesota already) while holding a towel over my face and hoping I was not killing myself or damaging my lungs.  Soooooooo............the lesson for me here is- if you are playing with clay DO NOT try to multi-task.  I can laugh today, but sunday I was pretty close to tears.  They were some dang cute pumpkins.  Anyhow- since I have no mini fall display- here are the pumpkins on my front steps. Happy Fall :)

12 comments:

hrgottlieb said...

If you know someone who needs to hold a fundraiser you should consider a flower bulb fundraiser.

PonderandStitch said...

Oh, no! I am so sorry your sweet little creations were burned!! That is the absolute worst. I feel for you..

sunshine said...

Oh no! That's a horrible (and funny-sorry!) story!
So sorry that things didn't work out for you... at least you were able to have some fun for awhile though...

((Hugs))
Laura

Claudia said...

Oh no! We've all been there, Kim - maybe not with polymer clay, but with something or other that went bad because our attention was split. I sure have! I hope, maybe, you can make some again?

xoxo
Claudia

Papillon Bleu said...

Dear Kim, this hapened to me several times...it even happened in my classroom 2years ago ! My asssistant had put the wrong temperature, the children's creations took fire and I had to evacuate the classroom!No harm fortunately.
I like your tea for 2 pic!
None for me this week (flu...).
I have to catch up with the awards too...

Caseymini said...

Kim, I once spent hours and hours doing a figure of Yul Brenner as the king from The King and I....Yup. Left unattended and burnt to a crisp. The smell was awful! I know exactly how you feel! Not good! Sorry it happened to you.

Kim said...

Thanks everyone! I thought it was funny too- just not till later on after I calmed down. One thing you do not want to see in your house is clay fumes pouring out of a toaster oven! I'm glad that I am not alone in this! I think I will see if I can try again this weekend- and just STAY in the room this time!

Patricia- I hope you feel better soon!!! Drink lots of liquids! Much love to you♥♥

Melanye K. said...

bummer!!! :(

Tallulah~Belle said...

Oh dear Kim

At least you can laugh about it now and hey, it could have been a lot worse (((((())))))

Stay warm.....it has gotten cold up there huh !

Dani said...

OMG what a story Kim...so good that you took some time for yourself...but the end of the story was sad...burned all your pretty stuff...you like me...wanna do everything in one time and then forget things...i had that yesterday aswell..making a sandwish in a toaster for Mel and doing other things in between and then suddenly thing what do i smell ;)...am glad you can laugh afterwards...we are chaotic but creative...and well....we do our best right !! Big hug xx Dani

Reisl Today said...

That is horrible! I'll tell you what I do.. and it makes me fell kind of nerdy to admit, but after I did that a few times I got a timer that has a little clip on the back and now I clip it on my pants. haha, like a little beeper or something.
Reisl

Kim said...

Reisl- What a great tip! Thank you! I think that is a good idea for me- I am easily distracted :)