Tuesday, September 29, 2009

closet



Here I am again. Last weekend we worked more on my closet doors. I meant to turn on the computer and post over the weekend, but we just kept working! They are still not finished, but there are doors now and I love, love, love them. My hubby bought a track and constructed these simple doors out of pine. I love pine- I love the golden color that comes out when you apply the poly. Now we have to figure out how we want to trim everything out. Next up is ripping down plaster walls (not a fun project, believe me. I am a nervous wreck while this is going on because EVERYTHING is dirty and dusty and there is no sense cleaning it up until the deconstruction part is over). After the plaster comes down one wall will get new drywall and 2 walls will get pine beadboard. We have pine on a lot of walls in our house- not everyone's cup of tea but it works wonderfully with my old farmhouse and my woodsy feeling of decor. I am sooo excited- I have "stolen" fabric remnants from my Mom's house to make additional bedding,curtains and pillows. I won't have my quilt on the bed every day because I have three cats and they have lots of hair they like to shed. I think that it will probably hang off the end of my bed- so I am going to recover my old comforter with a duvet cover that I am going to make. Soooo excited. My bedroom will look more like luxury hotel and so much less like bargain motel. I started cutting out fabric for a cushion for the window seat and you can see in the one picture I have started to sew it and piece it together. You can also see my "meow meow" kitty from when I was a child on that pile of pillows. So many special memories of "meow meow" kitty :) She used to be a co-star on the "kim and chuck" show in the hallway to the bathroom when I was young. (Chuck is my uber-talented bro- who does not like to be called Chuck, but rather Charles- but I can't make my mouth ever call him that- he is doomed to be Chuck to me-sorry bro). The Kim and Chuck show was based on the Donny and Marie show- possibly one of my most favorite shows when I was young. Okay- I better stop reminiscing and get some work done today- happy tuesday!!

7 comments:

Ara said...

I looks great Kim! That wood is beautiful!! makes me want to spruce up my house a bit!! -ara

sunshine said...

I love pine too!
Our tables are made out of pine, probably not the best choice because it's so soft but, I can't help it, I love em!!
The closet is coming along beautifully. You're so lucky that your hubby is handy. That's huge! :)

Kim and Chuck Show eh? Oh wow.. would I love to see that! LOL.
I didn't play "Donny and Marie" but I was Jaclyn Smith's character while acting out scenes from Charlie's Angels!

((Hugs))
Laura

Liberty Biberty said...

Can't wait to see the end result. I should be sorting out the 1:1 house and making things for it but I seem to spend all my time on mini things!
Mercedes

Melanye K. said...

Wow you guys are really moving along! i can't wait to see when you're all done. Very nice so far!! :D

p.s. could you send me your snail mail addy?? i have something for you :D writelamc @ gmail.com

thanks!

-mel

thefabulousfarmhouse said...

Hi Kim! I just got a new closet too! Whatever you do don't let your husband go by himself to pick out paint....

PonderandStitch said...

You are getting so much work done!! I can't wait to see the finished closet. I wish I could be as motivated as you to finish up projects around the house, but I'm feeling kind of blah...

Dani said...

Wauw Kim, lots of work but it is worth it !!..it looks really beautiful !! xx Dani