Monday, May 4, 2009

OUCH, ouch, ouch, wimper, wimper








I spent pretty much the entire weekend working in my garden. If you can believe it, I still have more to clear out. At least most of my little baby plants can breathe and grow now. I was happy to find that I did have about 6 tulips come up this year- go figure. I am awful at bulbs- I think I may be planting them too deep sometimes and not deep enough other times. Maybe. Anyhow- they are just green little buds right now- not even a hint to tell me what color they will be. I think our temps are supposed to be warmer and stay that way now, so maybe by the end of the week they will turn color. My hubby worked on putting up some of my new fence. I am replacing my old handmade lathe fence with sturdier wooden pickets. The lathe seemed like a good idea at the time, and it was certainly what I could afford, but it does not hold up well. You can see the new picket fence and the old lathe fence in one of the pictures. The pickets will stay- the lathe will eventually be making me a nice little fire in my chimerrea pot on the deck :) Lots of green stuff coming up, but nothing with color yet for me. My lilacs have big HUGE buds- I think if we got some rain that the leaves will all pop open. I also posted some pictures of the concrete path- it's coming along, but still not finished with that project either. I won't be working on the garden much this week- I am in pain from all that I did this last weekend and I am going to be working 2 jobs towards the end of the week since I help out at the flower shop I used to work at for the holiday after my regular job. I'm off to search for the bottle of advil and a good cup of coffee:)

7 comments:

MiniKat said...

I love all the paths through the garden. Can't wait to see it with blooms. :-)

A. Wright said...

I agree with Kat, love the pathways! I'm awful at bulbs too, I have 2 sad little tulips of of the 12 planted :(

Kim said...

Kat- Thank you! I only started defining the paths in the last couple of years and I really like the way ti looks too! I am sooo impatient for the blooms right now!

April- I am glad to know that I am not the only one that struggles with the bulbs! I just browsed your wonderful garden pictures this morning and I would never have guessed you have trouble with tulips too! Somehow, not being able to get them to grow right just makes me want them more too! I am sure I will try again this fall :)

Doreen said...

Lovely garden - I like the way you have the pathways. I had a problem with bulbs too because the squirrels were always digging them up. They love bulbs.

Debi Minter from WY said...

Hey, it's looking great! Tell hubby that I love the new fence! It's going to be absolutely beautiful in a few weeks! I know about the BUDS but no flowers. We had snow last week! They say not to plant ANYthing until after Mother's Day and they mean it! This week is warmer, but with thunderstorms all week. But the rain and the warmer weather will pop those buds out with some wonderful color soon. It's starting to green up here, so not so much brown everywhere!

I love the garden paths. I can't wait to see more progress on your little patch of wonder!

Try ice followed by heat for those sore muscles!

HuGGs!
Debi

PS: I'm almost ready to send out my first Art Giveaway!

sunshine said...

I really like all of the pathways too. It's going to be so cool when it's all in bloom!
It looks like you got a lot done though. Sorry that you're paying for it now!
Here's how totally out of it I am. I was sitting here thinking to myself... "What holiday is this weekend..?" Just add a "duh" behind my name.. LOL!
((Hugs))
Laura

Kim said...

Laura,

Silly girl! You gotta start leaving those Mother's Day hints around the house early you know! Course, you got that little pug coming now so maybe that's your mother's day present :) Thanks for the sympathy....it's really my own fault because I never know when to quit :)



Debi,

I was just thinking about you, my friend! I am glad you popped over here- I was wondering how your show went! I have been doing the ice/heat thing and I am feeling better. The problem is that I just love my garden so much that all of a sudden I go to stand up and realize that 4 hours have passed and it hurts to move! I'll pass your compliments on to the hubby- hopefully it will keep his enthusiasm for helping me finish! He is much stronger than me:) I know your weather is as awful, if not worse than mine so you totally understand my impatience! I just keep thinking how much I am going to value and cherish those blooms once they start coming:)

Doreen-

I often wonder if that is what happens to my tulip bulbs too, but I don't want to accuse the poor critters if it really is my fault for not knowing how to plant them. I love tulips so much too! I am happy and surprised by the few I have coming up!!